• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Players gone wild in Hommlet - RTTOEE

med stud

First Post
If the player of the Fighter was new and did his best to be easy on the guards, I think you should be easy on him on this. Add to this fact that he actually surrendered and saved the life of a guardsman. That guardsman can think the Fighter for his life, a circumstance that it wouldnt be up the walls if you used to save him. The alternative to the Fighter would be to betray his friends by turning them into justice, and considering his CN alignment, that would be very unlikely.

On death penalties for the involved: In most Western communities the PCs would get life time for this, with the banning of the death penalty and all.

But considering that this is a frontier community where the law cant afford silk gloves, the barbarian will probably be tortured and hanged for this.

The priest will probably be killed, by Boccob will probably not take actions while the alignment of the god is TN, and the god is described as "the uncaring".

Zouken

First Post
Ya, I'm wrestling with what to do with the cleric. He may get a temporary suspension of powers because he has embarrassed Boccob, used very poor judgement, lost Boccob some followers, and thrown the god into poor light.

Bob Aberton

First Post
By medieval law, all three (barb., cleric, and fighter) would all die, probably the slow way, for their crimes. Actually, they might let the Fighter off easy for not killing anyone; they might go easy on him and just cut off his head. The Rogue, I don't know. But the Barabarian and the Cleric definitely must die. The fighter, well, since he is a new player, and was trying to do his best, I'd say go easy on him. But if I were him, I'd roll up a new player.

But by mediaval law the way I understand it, the cleric and barabrian would die by torture, and the Fighter would be let off easy...he'd just be beheaded.

I'd say go easy on the fighter though.

med stud

First Post
The laws of the middle ages werent set in stone; the fighter saved the life of a guard, and the guards fighting him could confirm that he did his best not to hurt them. That could be enough to just fine him a large amount.

From what I can see, the fighter's player did his best to be nice in this situation. I think you should give him some credit for it, for example by using the above reasoning.

I checked out a punishment for a well known brigand in France during the 17th century, and you might adopt if you want:
They broke all his joints with an iron club, and tied him to crossed poles where they let him die of his injuries. It took the rest of the day.

But probably, as a "ordinary" murderer, they would probably lash him and hang him.
If you thinking execution without torture is to get away easy, read "The Idiot" by Dostojevskij. It is based on the author's own experiences from a fake execution by the tzar.

Keep in mind that the Law consists of past adventurers, not lifetime watchmen. This could mean that while they would certainly excecute the murdering Cleric and Barbarian, as past adventurers they know that when you commit to a group you follow through. Rufus and such should be able to see that the fighter was trying to make the best out of a totally fux0red situation by helping his lifetime friends, but killing any guardsmen. Good reason for why he gets off with a lighter sentence, or even alive

bardolph

First Post
My PC's actually LIKE it when they get punished for their crimes. It gives them the warm, fuzzy feeling of knowing that Good is winning out in the end, even if the PC's are on the wrong side of it!

Of course, things get a lot different when the PC's aren't near any kind of "authority."

Hejdun

First Post
Axe em...

(Literally) Axe the Barbarian and Cleric. The fighter would get out of jail in maybe 20 years, with most of his money going to compensate victims. The rogue might get tracked down and investigated, but he shouldn't really be punished too much, if at all. He'll have a bad reputation, at hte very least.

Start up a new campaign, pick up where you left off, the halfling rogue, if he is cleared of charges, might be able to part of the new company (provided the player wants to). To the cleric and barbarian (and to a lesser extent, the fighter), I'd say "stop this non-sense and play for real".

If they can't get more serious, then I agree with throwing them in the wilderness where they can hack and slash all they like.

Fade

First Post
IMHO:

Barbarian should be executed. Clearly a multiple murderer and a madman. CE.

Cleric should be hunted down and killed (and 15th level NPCs have lots of resources). No excuse for his actions. NE.

Fighter should be mark of justice'd, possibly geased, and released. I don't think he merits death, and its too much trouble to imprison him. TN.

Rogue should not be hunted, but if he shows up he'll get a slap on the wrist. No-one in Hommlet will deal with him, people slam and lock their doors as he approaches.

Last edited:

Henry@home

First Post
CamelToe said:
...You always had to consider the "Eric" factor into the game. I have really enjoyed this thread because of this.

You've got one of those too, huh? The player I've written about in the "Your character does WHAT?" thread is also named Eric. Thinking back, the Famous story of Eric and the Gazebo... hmmm, I sense a pattern here. Kind of like Moorcock's eternal warrior? :D

Zouken, your player's name is Eric, too?

LOL!

Last edited:

Remove ads