• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Players gone wild in Hommlet - RTTOEE

Zouken

First Post
Trial part 2

Having felt the weight of his crimes throughout the night, Pret staggers back into Hommlet. As his haggard frame comes into view 2 guardsmen yell for help and level spears at the wanted man. Pret raises his arms and says.

"I surrender, I wish to pay for my crimes."

Fade out, Fade in Courtroom in the keep.

During Raven's testimony, the crowd roars as a downtrodden man dressed in torn and filthy robes is broad into the courtroom in chains.

The council looks and the man with surprise.

Burne calls for order - "Pret........"

The guards recount the man's surrender, and state that he has given himself up peacefully.

Burne order's Raven to finish his testimony and orders Pret to be brought forward.

Burne - "Pret explain yourself.."

Pret seems a broken man, with tears in his eyes he bears his tormented soul and states that he wishes to pay for his crimes and right the wrongs he has committed. He explains his paranioa brought on by the doings of the cult of the elemental eye, and his desire to protect the village from it's evil doings. Nereve's rash actions caught him by surprise, and he acted poorly when confronted by the watch. He condemns his own and Nereve's actions and submits himself to the will of the court.

After his testimony, the mage Spongnoir comes forward to speak-
"Though this man has committed a crime, I can vouch for his character.
He has been mislead by the butcher of Hommlet, Nereve. I ask the court to consider this when making their decision concerning this man."

Burne rises and declares - "The council will discuss these matters and announce a verdict this afternoon. Now we must move on to the execution of Nereve..."

Raven and Pret are lead out into the cool morning air of the keeps courtyard. The occupants of the courtroom file outside and gather around a raised platform standing in the center of the keep's grounds. A battered Nereve is lead out into the courtyard in chains and lead up onto the platform. A guard cuts his bloodstained hair at the neck with a dagger and slips a noose over the man's head. He steps back.

Rufus lists the convicted man's crimes. He commands - "proceed with the execution".

The crowd throws rocks and mud at Nereve, He looks out across the crowd with a wild and crazed look in his eyes as the rope is tightened around his neck. A guard kicks a box from under his shoulders and the elf drops a sickening crack coming from his neck.

The crowd begins to clear, Some passing Raven and Pret glare at them, some throw insults, some kick or punch them. The guards form a circle around the prisoners as the rest of the crowd disapates.

Raven and Pret are lead back into the dungeons....

Later that day, they are called back to the courtroom. Only the council and guards occupy the now large and empty room. Pret and Raven are brought forward in chains.

Burne - "Raven you have explained many of your actions, but still you have helped us maintain order in our little town. You are sentenced to 2 months in prison, after which you will be released and fined 2000 gp. You are also banished from Hommlet risking further imprisonment if you ever return."

Burne - "Pret, you have given yourself up freely and have expressed a desire to atone for your actions. It seems that we are again faced with the danger of the Elemental Eye. You are sentenced to 6 months in prison, will forfit all of your belongings to paid for the raising of the men you have slain, and will be required to continue your fight against the Elemental Eye. You as well are banished upon risk of death upon your return to Hommlet, unless you vanquish the cult of the Elemental Eye and return proof to us that you have done so."

Raven is lead off to the dungeons. Burne orders that Pret be taken to his laboratory.

Once there Burne offers up a spell, most of the incantations seem mere gibberish until Burne looks at Pret and speaks -
"Pret you will investigate the cult of the Elemental Eye and destroy it. Once you have performed this task you will have paid your debt to Hommlet and yourself. Upon the completion of this task you will be released from this geas."

Upon these words a burning pain shots through Prets arm. He looks down and sees a symbol burnt into his arm - A red eye surrounded by flames, wind, waves, and landslides.

Burne - "This will be a constant reminder of your quest. As you come nearer to the completion of your task the symbol will fade, until it is finished, then it will disappear."

At this Pret is lead to the dungeons.

Zouken

First Post
Explanation

The player of the cleric (Pret) called me today and said he wanted to turn himself in and take his licks. Raven is the fighter.

Wolfspider

Explorer
While I understand why you spared the fighter (although I would also have had the character flogged severely), I can't understand why you also spared the cleric--a man of faith and a supposed servant of the gods. Although the player may have shown remorse and a desire to keep the character, I think that his pardon, even with the geas, strains credability. Sell his belongings to raise the town guards, but also send him to the gallows--after he has been on public display for a week of torment in order to humble this supposed man of (a) god.

The people of Hommlet have too much on their hands to worry about a murderer's redemption. Would it be better to lessen their list of enemy's by one and hope for a better group of adventurers to battle the forces of evil? I'm of the opinion that the cleric is only a few steps away from being as evil as the cultists....

Last edited:

Zouken

First Post
I'll admit that I was a little easy on the cleric (and probably the fighter as well). I may not have mentioned that the cleric also helped heal guardsmen after the scuffle and healed Elmo, who was bleeding on the ground with the crazy barbarian standing over him. I've also tried to keep campaign momentum going while adding some other interesting sub-plots. I'd like the campaign to continue, and this was one way of keeping it going. The player of the cleric would actually be better off rolling up a new character (players with characters that are killed take a 20% hit to the xp their previous character had when rolling up a new one), but he wanted to try and explore the redemption aspect that this character would need to work out.

Wolfspider

Explorer
Well, if he wants to explore the issue of redemption that's wonderful. I'm just afraid he'll go on a killing spree again. Keep us posted.

Remove ads