• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Player's Handbook II - What is it?

sad_genius

First Post
I wouldn't be surprised to see a kind of "strategy guide" aproach, a bit like an advanced version of the chapters in D&D for Dummies - a guide to how the rules work, how to get certain effects from them and what amounts to a slightly disguided "min-maxers guide" ... we'll see.

Truth Seeker

Adventurer
sad_genius said:
I wouldn't be surprised to see a kind of "strategy guide" aproach, a bit like an advanced version of the chapters in D&D for Dummies - a guide to how the rules work, how to get certain effects from them and what amounts to a slightly disguided "min-maxers guide" ... we'll see.

That will be disappointing.

Troll Wizard

First Post
sad_genius said:

I believe you are pretty close to the truth. People should look at PH II in the light of what the contents of DMG II were and who the target audience was - novice and aspiring DMs. As I stated in the other long PH II thread, IMV it will be targetted to players seeking to maximize character class builds. What is the path to be the best fighter-archer versus a fighter two-handed sword build. Which class makes the best necromancer, mage-necromancy school or cleric death domain? etc. I imagine it would be full of brief or outlined character class builds for iconic fantasy types - helping novice players develop a character that applies to their ideal fantasy hero (within the core rules).

Other things you might see:
What does it mean to be a paladin, cleric, monk... Following a code of conduct, piety, charity, tithe etc.

Role-playing a sorcerer, druid, barbarian, etc. i.e. how do they see the world?

What does it mean to be a wizard? Spellbooks and learning new spells? Effective use of AOE spells, targetting the monsters weakest save DC, why do wizards need scrolls, wands, staves.

Rogues; why guilds might be a good thing to join, maximizing the use of flank attack, maximizing the use of their skill points.

And countless more topics that PH II can cover to help novice and aspiring players, that we as players for 20+ years just take for granted.

Last edited:

DK

First Post
What about a collection of the various complete X classes?

They are doing a collection of the Races books, so don't you think that it would be possible?
Of course they could add a lot of material, but I think the new classes (and maybe new material about them) would fit very well.

What do you think?

TNO

First Post
I like Troll Wizard's idea. I have a couple of novice players in my group, and a book like that would be perfect for them.

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
It'd be useful if it were like an introduction to the game. An explanation of the races, how they interact (more in depth than the PHB, but less than the Races books), some tips on making characters (a la the characters with class articles), and some flavorful options for characters.

It wouldn't be overly useful to those experienced with the game, but I'd buy a copy anyway to show mew players into the game, to help them get used to everything.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads