Player's Handbook II?

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
whydirt said:
I think a better question is which of the new core classes is solid enough to possibly make the cut in 4th edition of the PHB.

All are solid enough.

None will make it.

If anything, IMO, the 4th ed PHB will most-likely be scaled back, not increased. There's already concern that the current edition is too complicated for new blood. Hence, the next ed PHB will probably be scaled back so that the base player isn't as overwhelmed with choices. They'll save such choices for other supplements.

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Tuzenbach said:
if I *do* decide to buy the Complete Arcane, it will be solely due to my curiosity revolving around the Warlock class.
You could try:

• Getting it cheaper online.
  • Getting it used.
  • Waiting 'til it's released as a pdf (though I'm not sure if the price of WotC's 3e pdfs is reasonable...?).

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Li Shenron said:
But the nowadays-everyone's-pet class the Warlock doesn't seem a concept different than the Sorcerer, and the same is with the Warmage. They might offer an alternative mechanical take on the concept, but that's not what makes a core class IMHO.

I think that the sorcerer class itself won't make it into 4e intact. Either warlock or warmage will replace it, or they'll make massive changes to the class. Something with its own personality, not just a wizard with less class skills, no bonus feats and spontaneous casting. And I think they might use the spirit shaman spell mechanic, or something like it, for the 4e druid.

Back to topic: a PHB 2 would be nice, but I don't know whether I want all the base classes from various books reprinted - anyway, that should probably be the Miniatures Handbook classes and the complete classes minus the asian stuff. Another possibility would be alternate sets of core classes for different themes. So we have the asian stuff (with shugenja, wu jen, samurai, ninja, shaman, and some of the normal classes) and maybe another theme, too.

On a related topic: If they put the complete classes in, they might put the new races from the Races series in, too.

Remathilis

Legend
All I want is Dragonlance's Mystic Class to become core. Is that so wrong?

Other (non-psi) base classes are kinda niche...

Hexblades (the real anti-paladin) are cool, but there evil/selfish ways make them a headache.
Samurai (either version): CW is kinda weak, but OA's tramples the fighter. Maybe a blend?
Swashbuckler: I love this class. My personal choice for an inclusion.
Favored Soul: Disappointed this was picked over the much more sorcerer-like and customizable mystic.
Shukenja: Would rather the OA shaman came back with his correct name: Shugenja. Shukenja is too Rokugan.
Spirit Shaman: I like this class, but its focus on spirits makes it kinda wonky.
Warlock: Fun class, but ripe for potential abuse. If the core was written to reflect the mechanic, he'd be great.
Warmage: Take a bit too much from the sorcerer and makes a better PrC.
Wu Jen: If your going with the oriental classes.
Ninja: Nicely done. Could be used for a base assassin class with some serial numbers filed off.
Scout: Great class, but stomps on the ranger's toes. Viable option though.
Spellthief: Another great class, but needs some serious flavor-text injection.
Marshal: A worthy class.
Healer: Great concept, but poor execution.

I'm glad they are all optional, but I still think the niche for a spontaneous divine caster should be included into core. Mystic is my vote-getter.

Greatwyrm

Been here a while...
Ogrork the Mighty said:
I don't think you'll see another spell compendium. The last time TSR did it, it bombed.

I don't think that's necessarily representative of the product's potential. It was one of the last big projects TSR put out, with bankruptcy right around the corner and in the twilight days of 2e.

I think there may be some demand for compendium style products. Mongoose has produced several of them.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Greatwyrm said:
I don't think that's necessarily representative of the product's potential. It was one of the last big projects TSR put out, with bankruptcy right around the corner and in the twilight days of 2e.

I think there may be some demand for compendium style products. Mongoose has produced several of them.

I'd love to have a big book of WotC spells. Annual sounds good, too (with the new spell descriptions in it and a complete, updated spell list in front).

Or maybe a PDF that will be updated regularly?

Gez

First Post
How many classes are there in the PH? 11. If you use psionics, that's 4 more classes, for a total of 15.

Reprinting all the "complete" classes, plus the Healer, Marshall, and Artificer would yield another total of 15.

I think it could be interesting. Of course, rather than PHB 2, the perfect title for it has sadly already been used: Unearthed Arcana...

Scotley

Hero
Will there be another "Complete Book?" I know the plan was for 4, but they have the Marshall and Healer from MHb, Courtier (to keep with the theme of adding one OA class), the Artificer from ECS, as well as the Noble, Mariner, and Mystic from Dragonlance. They'd be hard pressed to come up with a name maybe, but there are still a lot of feats and prestige classes left over from the 3.0 splat books that haven't made it into 3.5 yet. Actually that with a couple of new classes, which seems to be the style makes room for 2 or even 3 more books. Anyone heard rumor of plans for another?

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Scotley said:
Will there be another "Complete Book?" I know the plan was for 4, but they have the Marshall and Healer from MHb, Courtier (to keep with the theme of adding one OA class), the Artificer from ECS, as well as the Noble, Mariner, and Mystic from Dragonlance. They'd be hard pressed to come up with a name maybe, but there are still a lot of feats and prestige classes left over from the 3.0 splat books that haven't made it into 3.5 yet. Actually that with a couple of new classes, which seems to be the style makes room for 2 or even 3 more books. Anyone heard rumor of plans for another?

I don't think they'll make anoter. The four classical castes of heroes - warrior, arcanist, priest and rogue - have been done. I could see something like "Complete Diplomat" with a courtier-like class, the marshal, and something else, but I doubt it.

Besides, most of those classes aren't from Wizards themselves (the Courtier is from Rokugan d20, not from OA).

Remove ads