• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Player's Handbook Races

No aasimar. First real miss with me and this edition. I guess I'll just have to write up my own... again. I think it's hilarious that people think aasimars are "boring" when that is the exact same sentiment I have with Tieflings. I would still want them in the rule book, but I guess the reverse isn't true. Also people mistake being "good" for being nice. Go watch supernatural and take a good long look at the angel hierarchy and actions.

I'd actually argue that very few of the angels in Supernatural have any right to claim being "good" in D&D terms.

I agree though with the sentiment that people seem to dismiss good creatures as boring to quickly.

And it's rarely the game's fault. If you actually read the information on the various races of good and celestial creatures, there is all sort of interesting material highlighting differences, distinctions, unique aesthetics and philosophies--basically everything you need for non-boring characters.

In some cases, I really think it's just that people are going in with a preconceived attitude that good is boring, and therefore when something seems like it has any hint of celestial/angelic flavor to it, it's poo-pooed without really being seriously looked at.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Why I'll force YOUR symmetry! *fishes out his Stick of Forceful Symmetry*

Why does this sound like a magic item from FATAL or Book of Erotic Fantasy? :)

I'd actually argue that very few of the angels in Supernatural have any right to claim being "good" in D&D terms.

I agree though with the sentiment that people seem to dismiss good creatures as boring to quickly.

For that matter, why do people automatically make aasimar PCs good aligned so often? Goodness is boring when it's genetic; when it's chosen and earned, it gets interesting. The only aasimar I've ever played was a mean-spirited son of a *****, who overcharged for his services, made out for himself foremost, because of his upbringing that taught him a lack of trust in other sentients - the party were the only people he had concern for, due to various backstory reasons.

Last edited:

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
Female dwarfs have beards, by Moradin! And no aasimar is a no-no for me and my groups, too. Plus there is other stuff missing, of course - so I hope the other races will be included later.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
4 pages for dwarf, 5 for elf, 3 for halfling, human, and gnome, 2 for half-orc and half-elf, unknown for tiefling
Five pages for Elven-kings and their many races,
Four for the Dwarf-lords and their beardless damsels,
Nine for Mortal (men/gnomes/halflings) doomed to their usual places,
Unknown for half-breeds and tieflings--but no pseudo-angels,
In the Players Handbook, the next D&D basis
One book to rule them all, One book to align them
One book to bring them all, and at the table bind them
In the Players Handbook, the next D&D basis.

Yes, I know it doesn't quite scan.

barasawa

Explorer
Expected.

I'd say the list of races are mostly what was expected.
Though I was kind of wondering if the Half-Elfs and Half-Orcs were going to end up as Human subtypes, but that obviously didn't happen. (Really low probability, but we've seen stranger things from them.)

Can't wait to see what the actual writeups are for the new ones, and if they added anything to the ones in the basic rules.

Just a side note, I've got ideas for a campaign banging around, and I think I'll do a few cosmetic changes to Tieflings and rename them the Demon Tribes. Yes, I watch too much anime, or too little depending on who you ask. ;)

Charles Wright

First Post
I just like the Planetouched.

And a Hound-Archon-descended Aasimar would be cool as far as I'm concerned.

For that matter, having rules for specific outsider-descended Planetouched would be nice. Of course, it may be wholly unnecessary with the new system. I can't wait to see the Monster Manual and/or read about their monster-creation philosophies for this new edition.

variant

Adventurer
Dragonborn and Tieflings really shouldn't have been included in the Player's Handbook. They should have been placed with other campaign specific races in the DMG.

Grydan

First Post
I have to admit that I forgot what they did to the Tiefling race which created the necessity of creating the "Planetouched Tiefling" as a word. It's the reason I don't like the appropriation of terms to mean something different from the intention of the original meaning.

Sorry, no offence intended, but this made me chuckle. Appropriating terms to mean something different from the intention of the original meaning is a D&D tradition that goes back pretty much to the beginning.

Cleric, paladin, gorgon, medusa, pegasus, Bahamut, Baphomet, Tiamat, troglodyte, kobold, lycanthrope ...

Remove ads