• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Players] How much time do you spend preparing for one game session to the next?

Players: How much time do you spend preparing the game from one session to the next?

• Less than a half-hour (sometimes just at the table)

Votes: 38 35.8%
  • >30 minutes < 60 minutes

Votes: 23 21.7%
  • >60 minutes < 90 minutes

Votes: 14 13.2%
  • More than 90 minutes

Votes: 31 29.2%

• Poll closed .

ThirdWizard

First Post
Depends on the character and if I need to level him up.

A fighter is basically 0 time between sessions unless leveling.

On the other hand, I could spend lots of time making spell lists for a wizard character, or determining what magical items to craft or that kind of thing.

lukelightning

First Post
KB9JMQ said:
30 minutes tops if I am playing a spellcaster.
Anything else is under 5 minutes including getting the dice out of my bag and opening my Pepsi ;)

My first 3e character was a druid. After getting sick of spending all that time worrying about what spells to chose, I went with rogue for my next character.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I voted none, as usually I do what needs doing during the sessions. That said, there's times when I'll take a character sheet home and spend a night re-doing it, and other times when a game-related e-mail discussion breaks out - with our verbose crew, those can eat weeks at a time if not monitored carefully - but that's about it. Oh, and on the odd occasion when a treasury division is looking particularly ugly, I'll take that home and work on it; I seem to have defaulted to group exchequer.

Lanefan

JoeGKushner

First Post
Depends on my character.

In one Midnight Game I'm playing, I'm a 6th level fighter. How much time does it take to go, "Yeah, I'm a 6th level fighter." About one minute while looking over everything.

diaglo

Adventurer
JoeGKushner said:
Depends on my character.

In one Midnight Game I'm playing, I'm a 6th level fighter. How much time does it take to go, "Yeah, I'm a 6th level fighter." About one minute while looking over everything.

Rebar the Myrmidon with his trusty blade, Fairreach. Slayer of Giants.

T. Foster

First Post
Zero. I normally don't even look at my character sheet or session notes between sessions. However, there's a "warm up" period of a half-hour so at each the beginning of each session for chatting, socializing, eating, etc. before we actually start playing and I usually do some prep/refreshing work then -- picking spells, making sure my XP totals are correct, buying new equipment, checking on the notes from the previous session to see what we're supposed to be doing, etc.

Raven Crowking

First Post
In one game in California (Hi, Jesse!) I used to play a swashbucker (2nd Ed). I would spend a good 1/2 and hour before games reading Mercutio's lines from Rome & Juliet (and some other Shakespearian characters of the same ilk) so that while I was playing I could speak swashbuckler without fumbling.

RC

Remove ads