• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Players that just don't *get* the genre

Mallus

Legend
I seem to recall my first, and only, session of Call of Cthulhu, back in college, in which half the players insisted on playing it like D&D...

My current group of friends "get" a wide variety of genres, it's just that we trouble staying in the lines, so to speak. When we game, it's like.... well, the phrase "depths of an ether binge" comes to mind. What we end up with is something that runs the fine line between homage and parody, occasionally straying into Grand Guignol.

I'm guessing genre purists would hate one of our campaigns. But Tarantino, Miike, or Edgar Wright fans might like them... if they lowered their expectations sufficiently.

Last edited:

xipetotec

First Post
I seem to recall my first, and only, session of Call of Cthulhu, back in college, in which half the players insisted on playing it like D&D...

My current group of friends "get" a wide variety of genres, it's just that we trouble staying in the lines, so to speak. When we game, it's like.... well, the phrase "depths of an ether binge" comes to mind. What we end up with is something that runs the fine line between homage and parody, occasionally straying into Grand Guignol.

I'm guessing genre purists would hate one of our campaigns. But Tarantino, Miike, or Edgar Wright fans might like them... if they lowered their expectations sufficiently.

Sounds pretty fantastic actually! :) ... I'd love to join :p

As for "insisting" on playing it D&D style, hey that's fine... But let's see how far your heroics will last when you come face to face with a shoggoth and all you have is 15 HP and a pea shooter. :p

Starfox

Hero
...let's see how far your heroics will last when you come face to face with a shoggoth and all you have is 15 HP and a pea shooter. :p

Players have qn amazing ability to get any required hardware. Like a water-cooled machine gun. Even with minimum damage, full auto from this car-mounted beauty will milch Shoggoth to mulch in no time.

So you can count on players not to "get" the genre in Call of Cthulhu, too. Judging by the scenarios he wrote, the game's designer, Sandy Peterson, didn't "get" Call of Cthulhu.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

/Inigo Montoya

Rel

Liquid Awesome
But when I first killed off my son in Call of Cthulhu, he was pretty upset at the inability to DO anything about it... ( He came from a D&D and SW Saga background ). This was after I had explained to the group that in THIS world... players die. a lot.

Maybe he thought you meant PC's instead of players and was therefore understandably upset.

:p

Diamond Cross

Banned
Banned
Actually there's no reason why you can't play CoC with an actual way of staying sane and ridding the world of the unspeakable evils. As for me it gets tiresome playing nothing but suicide missions that has no real effect on the game world.

Ed_Laprade

Adventurer
Players have qn amazing ability to get any required hardware. Like a water-cooled machine gun. Even with minimum damage, full auto from this car-mounted beauty will milch Shoggoth to mulch in no time.
Weird, the line you quote from me isn't one of mine. How'd you do that?

Remove ads