• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Players Vs. DMs

Lord Xtheth

First Post
So, I created and passed out my first cursed item today. The player that it so happened to lay its curse upon realy started getting upset and whining a little during game.
Being the invincible DM that I am, I didn't let it bother me. The cursed item is the plot of my currand adventure path... so if he doesn't like it, all he has to do is follow the adventure.
Ultimately the item is an excelent item. I'm not too sure if I want to post it here, but I gave it rules to automatically use its abilities in a spacific order, so it gets "better and better" as the combat continues. If it misses however, the curse activates and punishes the wielder for missing.

Has anyone else done anything like this in 4E yet? Or at least purposely put somthing "not fun" in their adventures? What kind of reactions did you get? and how did it turn out in the end?

If you realy have to go back to previous editions to tell your tale, feel free, but I'd like to hear about 4E experiences.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
So, I created and passed out my first cursed item today. The player that it so happened to lay its curse upon realy started getting upset and whining a little during game.
Being the invincible DM that I am, I didn't let it bother me. The cursed item is the plot of my currand adventure path... so if he doesn't like it, all he has to do is follow the adventure.

Whoa. . . you forced a cursed item on a PC and, in order to get rid of it, he has to slavishly follow your pre-scripted plot to the letter? This might come as a shock to you, but most people don't get into RPGs to have the DM deliberately hose them and force them into acting out pre-scripted stories. For a lot of people (in fact, I imagine, for most people) this isn't fun.

Corjay

First Post
Yeah, I think I agree. A cursed item should be handled in a way that is either amusing or advances the plot. Player torture should not be part of it unless the player can have fun with it.

NewfieDave

First Post
Cursed items can work if handled very carefully. I would only consider using one if it jived with a character's (and player's) personality. It's ok to punish your players, but those punishments should be short term. Forcing a character to use a cursed item in the long term is definitely a bad idea, unless there is some way for the character to "redeem" the item within a reasonable amount of time (ie. within the span of a single session, two sessions tops).

Perhaps the best solution would be to make sure the player knows what they're getting themselves into before the curse takes effect. That way you're giving the character a choice. This won't be a choice at all if the negatives of the curse outweigh the positives, so there has to be a reason to want the cursed item (breakable curse, roleplaying reasons, or powers that make the drawbacks easy to swallow).

Corjay

First Post
The Stormbringer curse is an example of a curse that has a roleplaying aspect along with a benefit of its use, while having a devastating aspect to the character and those around him. It makes for powerful storytelling.

Last edited:

DrunkonDuty

he/him
Players? KILL EM! KILL EM ALL!

Ah but seriously: cursed items, in the way you're handling them as a long term plot device, are problematic. Most of my players would take it in stride and enjoy the fun, but then I've been playing with mostly the same people for years so there's a lot of trust there. So I'd explain why you have done what you've done and your hope that it would create a fun, challenging plot arc. But be prepared to remove the item quiickly if the player is really not into it.

None of which is what you're asking about. Can't remember really using cursed items except in the early days when myself, and all my friends, had great fun playing with the random magic items table. I mean who hasn't hit their players with a girdle of masculinity/femininity?

Korgoth

First Post
Just this evening I was doing a little stocking for an OD&D dungeon and I rolled a Ring of Delusion for a hoard. I decided to roll to see what this ring passes itself off as. A Ring of Water Walking! That could very well turn out to be priceless. :]

DrunkonDuty

he/him
Korgoth writes:
Just this evening I was doing a little stocking for an OD&D dungeon and I rolled a Ring of Delusion for a hoard. I decided to roll to see what this ring passes itself off as. A Ring of Water Walking! That could very well turn out to be priceless. :]

LOL. Lets hope some one in heavy plate armour gets it!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads