• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Players Wanted] D&D 3.5E - All-Doppelganger game

The803

First Post
This is an all-doppelganger campaign using rules from all over the place. Don't be afraid to ask me about rules that aren't familiar to you.

The characters play four "doppel-guardians" of the city of Cauldron. Normally, such creatures are simply invisible parasites, but when ominous events threaten their city, they have been known to tenaciously defend it, mutating and even returning from death (as ghostly-outsiders, rather than undead) to keep their Urban habitat from being ruined.

Here are some specifics:

Start at 2nd-level, go through the Shackled City Adventure Path
25-point standard point-buy characters
Max HP at first level, half HP every level thereafter
900 gp in starting gear and equipment
1 or 2 flaws (and accompanying bonus feats)

Available Races: Changeling or Doppelganger
The changeling may take a template class (check with me) and advance the same way. A half-doppelganger template class is also available if you want to play another race (again, check with me). Doppelgangers' advancement is fixed for the first eight levels, and half-doppelgangers and other template classes must advance their template class every other level.

During play, characters will occasionally be randomly modified (by me) using the mutation rules from d20 Future when they use their shape-changing powers. These mutations will then be "learned" by the character, allowing them to create their own mutation packages; the more you mutate, the more versatile you become.

Modified Ghostwalk rules will be used in the event of character death (if you want them).

Other plot hooks will be added as we go.

I will be rolling all dice myself. I will try to update every day or so.

Live IRC play (with dicebots) is also an option, but that will require careful arranging; let me know if you're interested.

Also, if you want to control more than one character, I'm receptive to that; doppelgangers have strange mind-reading powers and this particular lot are bound by fate, so a single player might command the whole party of four. If that's the sort of thing you'd like to try, let me know. I can run multiple versions of this campaign if I get enough takers.

If you're interested, let me know in this thread. You can also submit character ideas if you like; don't worry too much about your doppelganger background. Instead, develop a conventional background using a standard PC race; this is your public identity; most people know you only as this person. You can also have multiple identities if you want, but most of your kind simply keep a low profile.

I know the rules sound like they're from all over the place, but do not worry about rules you aren't familiar with; I'll let you know what you need to know. The only new rules that will be required are the mutation rules from d20 Future, and those are free (they're in the d20 Modren SRD). This campaign is intended as a sort of test of those rules in a fantasy setting, using a fantasy rationale.

More as it develops...

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads