• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Players Who Are Just Goofs

Ambrus

Explorer
Danny, I'm not quite sure why I found it so funny, but the entangled Harpies story really had me cracking up.
Same here, I was laughing out loud. :lol:

I have a similar lightning-and-water-don't-mix anecdote; actually a trio of related stories. In a 2e FR campaign one of my players was playing a gallant bard who decided to take lightning bolt as one of his spells to give his character a little eldritch oomph. The first time he cast it was on an NPC who had fled up a flight of stairs. Running to the base of the stairs with the rest of the party in tow, the bard offers some prosaic quip about how the NPC can't hope to escape his arcane might before letting loose with the lightning bolt. The thing to remember about 2e lightning bolts is that they're reflected when they bounce off of barriers. I ask the bard player: "Are you sure?" He thinks about it for a too brief moment and says: "Well, yeah. Why not?" The NPC makes his saving throw as he throws himself to the ground while the bolt hits the wall and ceiling at the top of the stairs and ricochets back down the flight of stairs to engulf all of the PCs who, by this time, are all standing single file as they prepare to run upstairs. In the end, the NPC only took half damage and got away thanks to the fact that most of the party was knocked out of commission or whimpering in pain. Naturally, the bard, with the lowest hit points is the first to fall unconscious.

The next instance sees the party hurriedly crossing a river to flee a pack of wolves who are swimming after them. Turning to make their stand against the pack, the PCs draw their weapons and engage the lead wolves. I describe how the pack is crashing through the river, churning the water and kicking up a wild spray as they charge hungrily towards the PCs. That's when our dashing bard decides to cast his second ever lightning bolt. I ask the bard player: "Are you sure?" He thinks about it for a moment and says: "Yeah, sure." As you might expect, the ten foot wide bolt sizzles as it passes over and through the churning water, causing the bolt's effects to radiate through the water in a thirty foot radius and thereby electrocuting many of the wolves but also the entire water soaked PC party. Once more the PCs find themselves groaning in pain amidst the lapping waves and charred canine carcasses floating all around them. The PCs left standing are desperate to patch themselves up and save their unconscious friends from drowning as the remaining wolves continue to advance on them threateningly. Naturally, the bard, with the lowest hit points is the first to fall unconscious.

The third instance sees our intrepid party in a cavern in which the rearguard has been ambushed by a group of viscous tunneling osquip (giant buck-toothed rats) Having downed an allied tiger familiar, the osquip turn and flees back into a 1-ft. wide tunnel in the side of the cavern. Our dashing bard runs up and, being wary of crawling in after the osquips, decides that to send a lightning bolt down the tunnel after them. I ask the bard player again: "Are you sure?" He thinks about it and says: "It'll go down the tunnel where I point right? Why not?" The reason being that the lightning bolt is ten feet wide I think to myself as I start rolling damage. Predictably the bolt slams into the cavern wall (and does also race down the tunnel incidentally) which is then reflected onto the bard himself and the rearguard he was trying to save. Naturally, the bard, having the lowest hit points falls unconscious and the tiger is charred beyond recognition.

Once the bard got patched up by the other party members, he angrily tore the lightning bolt's page out of his spellbook and burned it swearing that he'd never cast another of the damned dangerous things. He never did. :)

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

As for just plain inexplicable party decisions, once the same party had passed a blockade to sneak into a baron's keep that was under siege to help his daughter (a paladin) who was trapped alone inside. Having found her, they bunk down for the night with the idea to escape before daybreak. Unfortunately, during the night an invisible stalker snatches the lady up and flies away with her while the party tries desperately to stop it. The party sneaks back out of the keep and gives chase. Looking at a map of the area and comparing it to the direction the lady was being carried they conclude that she can only have been taken to some abandoned mines two days away. So they set out and march for a full day towards the mines. Then, in a move I will never understand, the party begins reminiscing about a dungeon they'd explored some months earlier. One of them says: "Remember there was a door nailed shut that we never opened? What's behind it might be relevant. We should go check it out." To my amazement, the rest of the party agrees and dutifully makes a 90º turn as they set out on a four day journey back to the aforementioned dungeon; leaving the kidnapped noblewoman (the gallant bard's paramour no less) to her fate in the mines. Once they eventually do get to the mines, they discover that the paladin lady had been sacrificed to the BBEG's god and subsequently animated as a zombie. She of course attacks her ex-boyfriend the bard in preference to the other PCs. :D

Last edited:

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Ah, lightning bolt. Back in high school, the same player I mentioned once had his 21st lvl 1e wizard cast it against a horrible monster. . a shambling mound. which grow 1HD for every die of lightning damage the receive. Which meant that he was suddenly looking at a 27' tall, 29 HD shambling mound.

Oops?

Ah, lightning bolt. Back in high school, the same player I mentioned once had his 21st lvl 1e wizard cast it against a horrible monster. . a shambling mound. which grow 1HD for every die of lightning damage the receive. Which meant that he was suddenly looking at a 27' tall, 29 HD shambling mound.

Oops?

As Treebeard would say: A (21st level) wizard should know better! :lol:

dogoftheunderworld

Adventurer
Supporter
On DMing a mid-high level party, we had a rouge who had finally gotten down the tactical angles of tumble and flank. The party enters a large cavern. In the middle, standing near a large campfire is a single lightly armored human, weilding a battle ax. The party's own barbarian ranger roars with angry recognition of the personal foe. Roll for initiative. Rogue goes first. So, she double moves to the foe, tumbles around behind him in flanking position. Then she (right after the rest of the party) realizes her timing may still need some work as the high level Barbarion Foe goes next, full attacking her into little pieces. Oops.

On a lighter note, DMing for my son's group of new payers (and including my brother as a helpful mentor). The group (1st level) encounters some giant rats in a cave entrance. The young players all ready their weapons and my brother.... my brother gets out his cooking pot. "I bang my pot to scare them away." I give the rats (I mean their just big rats :) ) a Will Save, one fails miserably and runs away. Hopefully the youth will remember that as an example of role-playing your character and take advantage of your resources (instead of my brother just being goofy ;-) )

:)

falcarrion

First Post
My firends and I where playing in a campain where at first level the cleric had found an arrow of red dragon slaying. For the next 8 levels he did everything possable to keep it safe. He babied it as if it was a new born.
Then it happened. We ran into a red dragon in a large underground caven with a river running through it. On the other side was the dragon. He hands me the arrow as I was the best with a bow. I could only miss wit a roll of 5 or less.
So I take aim and fire. I rolled a 1.
I start laughing and tell the dm my attack roll.
He says to the rest of the party " The elf fires the arrow and it goes about 2 feet and lands into the river and is swept away."
My friend who was playing the cleric turns to me and says " How could you miss?!!!"
I turn to him with my hands raised and say " It was warped!"
Till this day he still reminds me of it.

kitsune9

Adventurer
He rolled a 6 on his save. Took him to -13.

He was pissed.

Great story Piratecat. The stone horse was awesome.

It would seem that people on this thread had players or themselves had trouble with lightning bolt. Maybe we should ban that spell or something?

kitsune9

Adventurer
I have another story fairly recent.

I had a player who was subbing for another player's paladin. Well, he wanted to play the paladin a little different as a righteous, all-out-for-justice-attitude paladin. The party was investigating a massive surge of kidnappings and the initial finger-pointing was with a thug press-gang.

The paladin is decked out in full plate mail and carries a greatsword. He's a tough hombre compared to leather armor, poor quality weapon carrying thugs. At first, he manages to intimidate these guys and kind of push them around in the bar where they were hanging out. These guys weren't going to fight some experienced fighter and were answering truthfully that they had nothing to do with the kidnappings. Apparently, the player just didn't believe that the thugs really had nothing to do with it and was really just trying to provoke a fight, but doing it in a "paladin-ishy" way.

Well after a while, the two lizardfolk that were part of the gang had enough of the mouthy paladin and just attacked him just to get him to shut up. Crit and crit. The other thugs felt they had no choice but to fight back as well so they also got the jump on the paladin and with their poor-quality daggers and shortswords completely kicked the crap out of the paladin. The other players had hanged back because they wanted the paladin to "do his thing". Well, he did something--get mauled and killed by a bunch of low-level thugs who critted him several times and the ones who didn't crit scored hits for max damage. The paladin didn't even get a chance to draw his weapon.

So the moral of the story is be careful of what you wish for!

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Re: Lightning Bolt

You NEVER ban something the players can use to do their PCs great bodily harm...

Besides, some people are very good with it. The guy who cast Lightning bolt on the...well, on the party standing in water...was known for using that spell in close quarters in dungeons and using that aforementioned bounce to shock the A-through-Zjesus (not just the bejesus) out of our foes.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads