D&D 5E Playgrounds as dungeons

Besides being a cheap excuse to post one of the greatest playgrounds from my childhood (and possibly a absolute surprise I survived to adulthood), I have always had a fascination with playgrounds from the 80's.

I think they would make a great basis for a above air dungeon, but they always seem difficult to map and/or gamify the mechanics.

so I'm throwing it out there.

How do you turn the following structure in a dungeon? How do you turn things like slides, strange stairs, hanging bar and the like into 5e mechanics?

This is also a thread to show off other playgrounds you have known that would also make great dungeons so go nuts.

Attachments

• gold bar playground 2.jpg
    gold bar playground 2.jpg
    291.9 KB · Views: 43
  • gold bar playground.jpg
    gold bar playground.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 42

aco175

Legend
We could wait for the Chutes and Ladders movie to see how it is done.

I see most of it as being a trap or boost/penalty to movement. A trapdoor opens and you fall into a pit, or a slide into a pit. There could be a slide or pole instead of stairs that allows you to move down a level at twice the speed. Have to look at the jump rules a bit since a trampoline jump to the upper level might count as a full move.

ichabod

Legned
I see massive towers connected by bridges high in the air. I see bridges over a wide river, and a giant cave for a dragon. I see a rope bridge leading out to a tall rock formation. That big slide is a giant stairway leading up to the temple.

Lots of places would offer fun ideas, but to make it sing you need really fun rules for jumping around.

Fun means it can’t be too difficult or dangerous- if every time you move you risk death, players will just stand still. But if it’s free, it adds little value.

Remove ads