• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Playing a Werebear

Tetsubo

First Post
If you wanted to play a human werebear from 1st level, what would be the best method? I was looking at the template on the Wizards site but it seems to miss the mark. I guess I'm looking for something like a Savage Species racial progression. Maybe something that starts as a simple human, nearly a commoner, that progresses towards full werebear. Anyone ever use such a beastie?

Starbuck_II

First Post
If you wanted to play a human werebear from 1st level, what would be the best method? I was looking at the template on the Wizards site but it seems to miss the mark. I guess I'm looking for something like a Savage Species racial progression. Maybe something that starts as a simple human, nearly a commoner, that progresses towards full werebear. Anyone ever use such a beastie?
What do you mean misses the mark?

Use the Template as a Expert (simple human done) and take levels in werebear.
Progression would work like this:
Level 1 Expert
Level 2-4 werebear (optional add in 5-10 Bear form levels).

So if you want bear form to be useful rather than just looks as quick as possible:
Level 1 Expert
Level 2 take 1 levels of Werebear allowing transformation ability (non-hybrid form need another level for that)
Level 3 take 1 level Bear
Whatever you feel like after (mixing Werebear levels and bear levels)

kennyhughes

First Post
If you have access to Dragon Magazine #313 it has progressions for taking werebear, boar, tiger, wolf, and rat as classes. Much better than using the template.

Persiflage

First Post
Just, for the love of all the gods, don't forget: you MUST NOT TAKE THIS CLASS IF YOU HAVE A RANGER IN THE PARTY! [1]

If this happens, you'll both be locked into an endless, grinding cycle of futility as you're forced to continually foil his plans, steal his pic-a-nic baskets and eat the contents.

:p

[1] This goes double is his name is Smith. Nothing will save you then. Not even being smarter than the average bear.

Theroc

First Post
If the Savage Progressions Alzrius linked aren't close enough to Savage Species for you, I've no idea what to tell you. >.>

Remove ads