• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Playing an Arcane Archer

Cartigan Mrryl

First Post
I thought that the Arcane Archer's strength was in his bypassing Spell Resistance.... You hit a person with an arrow, you don't need to make it past his SR. Like... use that Gaseous Form spell, and an Iron Canteen, and you have ANYTHING at your disposal, INCLUDING something as beastly as the... saaaaay... Tarrasque, for one hour upon release....

But then again, I could be mistaken. I mean, one of my friends played as one in a campaign and he seemed to do relatively well. But then again, I was the group social-elite talker guy so I didn't make my guy with combat in mind, but he seemed to be good from most perspectives.....

((On a side note: In order to have an enchantment on an item, you need an enhancement bonus of that number.... so a +1 can have one additional enchanment(say: Flaming, or something)... a +5 can have up to five.(Say: Anarchic, Wounding, Flaming, Distance, seeking.)))

RigaMortus2

First Post
Cartigan Mrryl said:
I thought that the Arcane Archer's strength was in his bypassing Spell Resistance.... You hit a person with an arrow, you don't need to make it past his SR. Like...

Why wouldn't you? It's still a spell. If you Imbue Fireball in one of your arrows, not only do you now need to roll a d20 to hit your target (or a space on the grid near your target), when the spell goes off SR and the Ref save still applies.

Korak

First Post
real use for arcane archer

notice that imbue spell does not require that the spell be arcane...

Elf

Wiz1,Clr17,AA2

Zen Archery, Enlarge Spell, Divine Spell Power, Practiced Spellcaster, Bead of Karma...

Very long range, Very large blast radius, Very deadly Holy Word arrows.

Tiberius

Explorer
I've been thinking Fighter 1/Warmage 7/Eldritch Knight 10/Arcane Archer 2 for my next character (long-term). The warmage gets all sorts of area spells, many of which have ranges shorter than that of a composite longbow. By itself the build doesn't look that great, but adding the Explosive Spell metamagic feat makes for interesting battlefield control when you can drop a Burning Hands on someone from afar and push them off a cliff, for instance. :) Only real problem is that I have to be a half-elf if I want to avoid the multiclass penalties. :(

Rkhet

First Post
RigaMortus2 said:
I think that is the most useless ability myself. As the OP stated, all the really useful area spells already have a decent range on their own. And most of them don't require an attack roll either, like an Imbued Arrow would.

Don't shoot the enemies. Shoot the ground. That's what, AC10?

The ability to fatigue your enemies from far away, or to put them inside an AMF that you're outside of, is pretty cool.

Rkhet

First Post
No, no. Imbue Arrows can carry an area spell, even if it normally centers on you.

AMF is an area spell that normally centers on you.

So shoot the ground next to your enemy's feet with an arrow imbued with AMF. Then make a Wall of Stone around him.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads