• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Playing characters of the opposite gender

How do you feel about players making PCs of the other gender?

• I forbid/don't like/feel uncomfortable with such heroes in my games

Votes: 17 10.3%
  • I actively encourage such heroes in my games

Votes: 43 26.1%
  • I love playing such heroes

Votes: 59 35.8%
  • I never/very rarely play such heroes

Votes: 43 26.1%
  • Neither of the above

Votes: 51 30.9%

Rechan

Adventurer
I am sorry, did I do something wrong? I am new here and I really don't get your meaning.
Not to put words in dudette's mouth, but I'm pretty sure the message she is conveying is that this topic will derail into intolerance and homophobia, by the assumption that homophobia/intolerance is the only reason to object to/be uncomfortable with opposite-gender PCs.

Sort've how discussions of scantily clad women in fantasy art often leads to arguments over misogyny and the treatment of women.

Last edited:

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
As a DM: I use opposite gender npcs as needed.

As a player: I have created only one, a female dwarf with a beard, and that was over 10 years ago. However, I have played more than a few characters that did not have a gender, or who had more than one.

I suppose I just have more fun either ignoring that aspect of the character completely, or intentionally mucking about with it in absurd ways.

Last edited:

FriarRosing

First Post
I voted that I don't really like people to play characters of the opposite gender in my games, but that's mainly just because of bad experiences. If someone really wanted to play a character of a gender different from their own, and for a reason that wasn't just "I want to play an elven slut plz" I would certainly allow it.

I've always kind of wanted to play a character who cross dresses (not that I'm interested in doing that in real life, by the way :erm:), but I don't think my friends would be able to take the character seriously. And, really, I'm not sure I could play such a character well--I'm worried they would just come off as gimmicky.

Actually, I've always wanted to play a she-hulk type of character. Like, a barbarian women who smashes things really well. But sadly I'm always the DM for some reason. :(

EDIT:

I figured I'd also add that as a DM I always try to include bad ass female characters--I find the majority of the fantasy genre to be overly male dominated, I personally don't want all my female characters to be swooning princesses in need of a valiant knight to save them. I've had no problems roleplaying women NPCs.

Last edited:

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
I actively encourage it and play about 40% of my characters as female, including my newest character (for a total of 1/2 of my current characters being female; 1/3 if her animal companion counts as a character). Sadly, I've never played a homosexual character, I always mean to but then kinda forget about it. I have played a few female rogue spy types that were willing to be with another female if it lead to getting info or an opportunity to steal something, etc... but none were outright bisexual.

I generally have a slight edge for females as rogues/bards; melee brawlers have been a strong edge for male characters; wizard/sorcerer types have been more often male; clerics are evenly split; and druids get their own category.
Possibly Definitely TMI:
[sblock]I've now started playing my third druid. All have been female so far. I'm willing to make a male druid, it's just...I like my druids to be sexually kinky. Like...abnormally so -- dendrophilia/phytophilia; nearly all enjoy bondage and get a thrill using entangle/kelpstrand/etc...; none have been into bestiality yet, but find drawing lines between humans and the other animals silly when they can become animals and often times relate mroe to them than other humans... Ultimately, the large majority of paraphelia cases involve males, so I guess I just like playing against type. :)

And between the prevalence of bondage spells, wildshaping, thousand faces, eventual physical agelessness, and generic hippie "free love" vibes, I can't help but think of druids as kinky sex fiends.[/sblock]

Oh...my previous female druid flirted with, dated, and got engaged to a male PC played by another guy, for whatever that counts. Left the game before they could tie the knot, sadly.

Griego

First Post
I don't care if anyone plays the opposite gender, but if you're just going to use it as an outlet for your frustrated sexual urges, take a hike.

Halivar

First Post
I don't care if anyone plays the opposite gender, but if you're just going to use it as an outlet for your frustrated sexual urges, take a hike.
This. I have seen people play the opposite gender several times, and it was fine. I would only have a problem with it if it was for absurd, demeaning, and/or prurient interests.

I, myself, have never played a female character, and probably never will. Not because it's icky, but because I'm just not interested in such a character concept. Now, when I play an MMO, I play exclusively female characters. Given the fact that most MMO's are third-person following-camera perspective, I must consider whose butt I'd rather be staring at for hours at a time (here's a hint: it ain't a male orc).

FriarRosing

First Post
Now, when I play an MMO, I play exclusively female characters. Given the fact that most MMO's are third-person following-camera perspective, I must consider whose butt I'd rather be staring at for hours at a time (here's a hint: it ain't a male orc).

I hear this all the time.

Obryn

Hero
In my recent games, none of my players has played a character of a different gender. It's not like I forbid or discourage it; it's just kind of an option nobody has taken. Like half-elves.

When I'm playing, I switch back & forth, depending on the character concept. Since I DM characters of different genders, I don't see the big deal.

In CRPGs, I also switch back & forth. For some games, like Oblivion, there are actual differences. For others, it's a matter of which character graphics look cooler.

-O

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
This. I have seen people play the opposite gender several times, and it was fine. I would only have a problem with it if it was for absurd, demeaning, and/or prurient interests.

I, myself, have never played a female character, and probably never will. Not because it's icky, but because I'm just not interested in such a character concept. Now, when I play an MMO, I play exclusively female characters. Given the fact that most MMO's are third-person following-camera perspective, I must consider whose butt I'd rather be staring at for hours at a time (here's a hint: it ain't a male orc).

I agree with you on the first part. The second part enrages me to an irrational level, as I have played with people who have said that, and it only leads me to wonder if they are too busy ogling pixelated buttocks to pay attention and play the game. No offense to you intended, I blame raiding (which I no longer do, thankfully) for making me so bitter toward people in general.

And besides, they have capes to cover those things so you don't have to look at them. :p

Remove ads