• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Playing In Character...Help with an Accent

Lady Starhawk

First Post
We're playing a modern game (our world year 2002 <Alternity Dark Matter to be more specific>) and I'm playing a Scottish character. I want to be able to speak with the accent when I'm speaking for the character, but being an American (Minnesotan to be exact) I only have the vaguest idea what the Scottish accent sounds like.

Now for my question:
Could people recommend a movie I can watch that has a good Scottish accent in it? I pick up on accents really quick when I can hear them spoken so I can get it in my ear, but I just can't get Scottish in my ear right now. I figure a movie would be the perfect way that I can get it into my ear before Friday because I can watch it to hear it.

Not a really big thing, but it would help me get into character if I could speak at least a half way decent accent. Might help the guys I am gaming with too as the character I'm playing isn't very much like me at all :p .

If anyone on the boards IS from Scottland let me know when you suggest a movie, as I'll maybe put a bit more credit to your suggestion :) .

Thanks, in advance, for the help
Lady Starhawk

William Ronald

Explorer
You have several options. (As an American of partial Scottish descent, I can make a few attempts to help.)

For movies, Braveheart and Rob Roy would be good.

TV has a few options. BBC America has a few series, Ballykissangel (correct me if I am messing this up, friends) with Scottish accents. The original Star Trek series had James Doohan doing a stage Scottish accent.

You might want ot check the web for sites about Scots English. They might have some sound files. Try www.yourdictionary.com. (Which is a great site for many languages.)

My mom said it took her a little while to understand my paternal grandparents. I wish I had tapes of them or home movies with sound.

Pelosan Emperor

First Post
Another place you might try is your local public library. If your library has a large Arts & Music section, they may have what are called "Dialect Tapes." Each tape (or set of tapes) covers an "accent" or dialect of spoken English. The ones in our library in Indianapolis include Scottish, Cockney, Russian, and Arabic, to name a few.

Good luck!

Warrior Poet

Explorer
I would suggest an excellent movie called Local Hero (with terrific soundtrack by Mark Knopfler) for a selection of northern coastal accents, as well as the thriller Shallow Grave for a sample of Edinburgh city accents. Trainspotting is also good, as is the terrific Gosford Park (pay particularly close to voice of the maid, Mary MacEachran, played by Kelly McDonald). You might try to find some of Billy Connelly's comedy on audio or video: his accent is a good, strong Glaswegian (if I recall correctly), and to top it off he's absolutely hilarious. Robbie Coltrane is also Scottish, and his comedy is very funny as well (I believe he was in the Harry Potter movie). BBC has done a number of interviews with author Ian Rankin, I think, and he's another Edinburgh resident. In fact, BBC archives might be a good source for a variety of accents: they may have interviews with members of Scotland's parliament, local citizens of various parts of Scotland, stars like Sean Connerey, Ewan McGregor, Kelly McDonald, and more. There may also be an archive for a number of commercials that often appear on Scottish television that would be appropriate, such as the Tennant's Lager ads.

If I think of some others, I'll post them. Good luck.

Warrior Poet

Last edited:

Wolvorine

First Post
<Nods> Anything with Sean Connery should do nicely. Sean Connery has the best actual scottish accent you can pay money to hear outside of Scotland. :p

Michael Tree

First Post
First off, completely ignore everything Mike Myers has ever done if you want to have an even remotely authentic Scottish accent. His fake-scottish is less grating than many people's, but a long way from sounding real.

With accents, remember that subtlety is the key. There are few things more grating than an overdone fake accent, and if you overdo it your character will become a caricature, like Groundskeeper Willy. The best advice I've heard was from an acting coach: Don't accent every word. Accent every fifth or sixth word. It will still sound accented, but won't be harsh on the ears.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads