• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Playing Monks

hong

WotC's bitch
Tonguez said:
I gave my monk Dex 18 Wis 18 Str 10 and Con 12 Int 14 Cha 10 and at early levels trying to hit anything in melee was a bummer (Flurry of blows don't mean much when you keep missing).

ie Str is important for its BAb bonus (so nect time Str 12)

However I was also pretty much untouchable with all that tumbling, AC bonuses. And as soon as I got myself a crossbow life was fun.

And with 18 Dex, the first feat you should pick up is Weapon Finesse (unarmed strike) if you want to melee at all.

ConcreteBuddha

First Post
Tonguez said:
I gave my monk Dex 18 Wis 18 Str 10 and Con 12 Int 14 Cha 10 and at early levels trying to hit anything in melee was a bummer (Flurry of blows don't mean much when you keep missing).

ie Str is important for its BAb bonus (so nect time Str 12)

However I was also pretty much untouchable with all that tumbling, AC bonuses. And as soon as I got myself a crossbow life was fun.

Every Monk in our group looked like this, until I whipped out my 22 Strength, Orc Monk.

That was fun. ;)
Seriously, though, if you have a high dex, weapon finesse is the way to go, with the addition of disarms and/or spring attack.

Blacksad

Explorer
mo said:

I think the big problem with my monk is his constitution - he may have a good strength, combined with flurry of blows and over time improved secondary attack progression but if he gets near any one be is likely to be in trouble - which I suppose makes ranged attack bonuses even more useful.

or you might want to check "beyond monks" available at RPGnow for $8

it features a prestige class for monks focused on getting thougher (d12 hit dice, immunity to critical hit, natural armor etc...)

and also an index with small box for your DM to check (or not to check) to choose which feats and prestiges classes he allows (I think this is a really a good thing, it will ease the work of the DM).

Volefisk

First Post
hong said:
And with 18 Dex, the first feat you should pick up is Weapon Finesse (unarmed strike) if you want to melee at all.

I see this mentioned a lot (Weapon Finesse Unarmed Strike), but is this actually legit or a house rule? The game seems to make a distinction between "weapon" and "unarmed," and the Weapon Finesse feat clearly says "weapon." Just look at Weapon Focus... this feat spells out an exception saying that the "character can choose 'unarmed strike' or grapple for the character's weapon for purposes of THIS FEAT" (SRD, my caps). It doesn't say that under Weapon Finesse.

I always understood it that you couldn't Weapon Finesse an Unarmed strike. Have I missed something?

<volefisk>

Brother Laszlo

First Post
ConcreteBuddha said:

Every Monk in our group looked like this, until I whipped out my 22 Strength, Orc Monk.

Hehe! I made a Strength 20 Orc grappler for an OA game my group did. Basically if he got a pin on you, you were toast.

ConcreteBuddha

First Post
Volefisk said:

I always understood it that you couldn't Weapon Finesse an Unarmed strike. Have I missed something?

<volefisk>

PHB pg 103--
" Strike, Unarmed: ...You can use the Weapon Finesse feat (see page 86) to apply your Dexterity modifier...etc..."

Last edited:

Volefisk

First Post
ConcreteBuddha said:
PHB pg 103--
"Strike, Unarmed: ...You can use the Weapon Finesse feat (see page 86) to apply your Dexterity modifier...etc..."

Thank you! That certainly puts a new spin on things!!

<volefisk>

mo

First Post
Volefisk said:

Thank you! That certainly puts a new spin on things!!

<volefisk>

Altho' bear in mind that a monk can't take Weapon Finesse at first level (requires BaB +1). So is your monk doesn't have a reasonable strength then you might have to spend a few levels avoiding melee.

Gizzard

First Post
> And with 18 Dex, the first feat you should pick up is Weapon
> Finesse (unarmed strike) if you want to melee at all.

The problem with this is that it pushes back your Spring Attack unless you are a human (and get the extra feat). Since Monks get so few feats you're looking at Spring Attack at level 9. (Caveat: I havent played over level 5, but all anyone ever talks about is Spring Attack, Spring Attack, Spring Attack. So I'm assuming its an ASAP skill to pick up.) Still, Weapon Focus is a very neat way to optimize your Monk stats and should be considered.

STR (or getting Weapon Finesse) seems very important; theres nothing more hapless than slapping a big creature for d6+2 (15 STR, lvl 3 Monk) and then watching him hit you back for d8+6. A Barbarian or Fighter can keep up with this rate of damage, a medium or low STR Monk just cannot. If you are planning on holding the front-line for the party (which is not what this class is about) then doing 18 STR, 14 DEX might be a reasonable try; although, as you are finding out, the lack of HPs is a serious problem. I think its an interesting RP concept; although I think the Monk class must be mercilessly, munchkinly optimized in order to be "competetive" with the big 4 classes.

ConcreteBuddha

First Post
Brother Laszlo said:

Hehe! I made a Strength 20 Orc grappler for an OA game my group did. Basically if he got a pin on you, you were toast.

Grappling was always neat vs. single enemies, but I found that Flurry was far more useful in most situations.

Gizzard---
(Caveat: I havent played over level 5, but all anyone ever talks about is Spring Attack, Spring Attack, Spring Attack. So I'm assuming its an ASAP skill to pick up.)

I really think that Spring Attack is overrated for a monk. I prefer the improved number of iterative attacks combined with a flurry. The high Dex monk with Weapon Finesse can stand toe to toe because of a high AC and slowly wittle the bad guys away.

Agreed, Spring Attack is useful with a flying-kick, mantis-leap charge. All in all, however, you can do more damage just attacking 15 times.

I find that Spring Attack is only useful while soloing, or with a group of fellow mobile characters. IMX, most parties, however, are strongest when banded together in a group, and having a random monk 80 ft. away generally doesn't help.

Remove ads