• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Playing Thru a Chat room

Elton

First Post
We are putting the finishing touches on a mapping program that allows maps to be sent as a text string thru a chat server. I would be interested in hearing what features those of you who play/have played this way would like to see.

At the current time it allows the DM to generate a map and place objects, characters, and monsters on it. each can be moved seperatly and the changes sent to the other players. it also allows for a "tooltip" on each icon that displays the name, AC, HP ect of the creature. if you would be interested in playing around with it, let me know.

elton2996@yahoo.com

RyanL

First Post
Elton said:
We are putting the finishing touches on a mapping program that allows maps to be sent as a text string thru a chat server. I would be interested in hearing what features those of you who play/have played this way would like to see.

At the current time it allows the DM to generate a map and place objects, characters, and monsters on it. each can be moved seperatly and the changes sent to the other players. it also allows for a "tooltip" on each icon that displays the name, AC, HP ect of the creature. if you would be interested in playing around with it, let me know.

elton2996@yahoo.com

That's a pretty darn cool idea. I've toyed with the idea of writing a chat client with RPG facilities, but I never thought of that approach. Are IRC clients these days extendible enough that you can get a smooth integration?

-Ryan

Elton

First Post
Chat Mapper

No, it isn't integrated with the chat client at all in it's current form. It is a stand alone. you just copy the text and paste it into a text box in the program and the program converts it to a map display and character positions. I would like to be able to transfer info to/from the chat window, but I don't know enough about interacting with another program yet.

Elton

Dimwhit

Explorer
Elton said:
No, it isn't integrated with the chat client at all in it's current form. It is a stand alone. you just copy the text and paste it into a text box in the program and the program converts it to a map display and character positions. I would like to be able to transfer info to/from the chat window, but I don't know enough about interacting with another program yet.

Elton

That sounds very interesting. I'd love to see a final product. I used to play online with some friends, but we never found a good way to map things. We used to post to a message board for story-related stuff, then for combats and back-and-forth dialog, we'd use a chat room.

Your idea sounds great.

thatdarncat

Overlord of Chat
hey, sounds interesting...

I'd be VERY interested in hearing more. E-mail me (thatdarncat@psionics.net)

Are you planning on releasing this as freeware or ?

Psionicist

Explorer
Elton said:

elton2996@yahoo.com

Ascii-art, sort of?

RyanL

First Post
Psionicist said:
Ascii-art, sort of?

Sounds like they've got a standalone map creator/viewer which has the capability to serialize/de-serialize a map as a text string. From the description, it sounds like it can even generate deltas rather than sending the whole map when there's a change.

Elton: I'd be happy to play around with it, if you need testers.

-Ryan

Elton

First Post
ChatMap

Ryan, you are basicly correct. It is a stand alone map editor that each person runs. Each tile has a letter associated with it and the whole map gets sent as a text string. the character and object icons get send as strings that are combined together to send the position, name and what icon to display. If any of you would like to look at what we have so far, we are keeping the current versions on the yahoo group

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/chatmap/ in the file section

I will warn you there are some unfinished sections and minor bugs, but new versions get uploaded twice a week or so. look at the read me for a better discription of how it works. It doesn't have a help file yet. If anyone would like to volunteer...

Elton

Psionicist

Explorer
Elton said:
Ryan, you are basicly correct. It is a stand alone map editor that each person runs. Each tile has a letter associated with it and the whole map gets sent as a text string. the character and object icons get send as strings that are combined together to send the position, name and what icon to display. If any of you would like to look at what we have so far, we are keeping the current versions on the yahoo group

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/chatmap/ in the file section

I will warn you there are some unfinished sections and minor bugs, but new versions get uploaded twice a week or so. look at the read me for a better discription of how it works. It doesn't have a help file yet. If anyone would like to volunteer...

Elton

Ahh, very ingenious.

Remove ads