• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Playtest 2] Races: Humans too good?

Li Shenron

Legend
I prefer to ad-hoc level gains and XP. Even if I were using XP as-is, I would like to keep characters leveling at similar rates.

In fact I do the same thing, I wing the XP to sync advancement with the story, and some times I even just levelled up everyone when I thought appropriate.

But I would rather go back to using XP normally, than having to imply a setting with humans genetically superior to everybody else.

Li Shenron

Legend
But I would rather go back to using XP normally, than having to imply a setting with humans genetically superior to everybody else.

On second thoughts, I am never going to need to do either... I like skills & feats and I'm always going to use them, so the way to go for me will be to replace all human ability score bonuses with a bonus skill and a bonus feat. No worries.

Stalker0

Legend
I agree with some other posters that the knack ability seems better suited for the human.

It provides the generic versatility we are looking for, and gives humans the same "moments of sheer awesome" that 4e did with human feats like action surge.

Prickly

First Post
Many posts are assuming that humans are the baseline race and that the other races have bonuses and penalties to reach that baseline.

I dont think that that is the case at all. I think the "baseline race" is theoretical and every pc race has a fixed but different bonus above that baseline.

So in a way either no one is the baseline or everyone is.

Chris_Nightwing

First Post
I would give them a +1 to any ability score.
I would support a +1 to all ability checks - it simulates those higher stats but won't apply to attacks or damage.
I would give them an extra hit die for healing every day - humans go harder for longer.

I would give them a +1 to any ability score.
I would support a +1 to all ability checks - it simulates those higher stats but won't apply to attacks or damage.
I would give them an extra hit die for healing every day - humans go harder for longer.

This is pretty close to what I would like to see.

- + 1 to any one ability score
- + 1 to untrained ability checks/skill checks.
- Some sort of "grit" or "luck" mechanic - your extra hit die seems like a pretty decent idea.
- A culture-centric ability or a secondary background.
- A feat.

For demihumans, give them a + 2 bonus in their primary stat (or + 1 in primary and the secondary in subrace) so the implied setting is coherent and then;

Dwarves - They're actually quite good. However, Revise;

Dwarven Resilience: Change Immunity to Poison to Advantage to saving throws versus Poison.

Elves -

Elf Weapon Training: Add - Long Swords become Finesse Weapons.

Free Spirit: Give them an inherent + 1 bonus to Will Saves and change Immunity to advantage on saves versus Charm and Sleep effects.

Give them some manner of tactical mobility (specifically in woodland settings) - Brachiation (movement speed in trees or advantage on climb checks to move through trees) from 3e, woodland stride from 3e (the ability to not create tracks), or 4e's ability to ignore difficult terrain while shifting.

Halflings -

Give them something to emulate their natural charm, slipperiness, or guile within social interaction.

Dordledum

First Post
I also agree that +2 to one and +1 to the other scores seems OP.

I'd rather have them give all races a +2 to a specific score and the humans +1 to all.

Estlor

Explorer
I'll play Devil's Advocate.

Let's suppose for a moment that the current human benefit - +2 to one Ability Score of your choice, +1 to all others - IS too good. Let's also suppose that things like bonus feats and bonus skill training are off the table due to the modular approach.

What if humans instead received this benefit:

• +2 to one ability score of your choice
  • +1 to saving throws
  • +1 to ability score checks
Humans, therefore, would have most of the benefits of an ability score bonus - better saves and better checks - but not things like an AC boost from their Dex or a hp boost from their Con. The only side-effect they get from this model (other than it being one more thing to remember) is they're even better still at ability checks that use the ability score they put the +2 in. But then that could just help model the narrative fluff that, "Humans excel at whatever they choose to specialize in."

Tony Vargas

Legend
) ... is this too good? Will it encourage too many humans ... or is that what we want?
The story has always been that humans are the most common/adaptable/capable/etc PC race, but they've rarely been a very good choice. It makes some sense to finally back up the humans' press.

OTOH, human is the most familiar race, and a lot of people play humans for that reason, alone, because they don't want the exoticism of one of the other races. Making humans an arguable 'best' race as well as the most comfortable choice could conceivably make for less diverse parties.

Texicles

First Post
OTOH, human is the most familiar race, and a lot of people play humans for that reason, alone...

It's funny you should mention that, because my experience has been a little different. A lot of people I game with (myself included) tend to eschew humans because, well, we play humans all day, every day. I don't get to be an elf or dwarf IRL nearly as often as I'd like, so I play those things when I get the chance.;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads