• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Playtest 7 survey is now live.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Delete ALL costly gp spell components. Ideally delete spell components from spell description, and let each class (and sometimes subclass) determine how to cast spells.
I mean, that never happening? The Component system is a pretty integral part of the game, and costly components are particularly important.

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
I am juat not sure that WotC hasn't already tested most the Spells that they plan to change
Heh, given how poor some spells are in their slot, the current situation has more to do with neglect. The overpowered spells were a high priority in 2014, but they ignored the underpowered ones.

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
I mean, that never happening? The Component system is a pretty integral part of the game, and costly components are particularly important.
The class rather than the spell description.

The class determines which components. For example, the Bard casts any spell using either Verbal (song, command, chant, etcetera) OR a musical instrument (as the material component), but the Dance Bard uses Somatic (dance) instead of Verbal.

Each class has its own method to cast spells. I can see the Ranger using parts of plants and animals for the material component. Perhaps Artificer uses various elemental ingredients, like alchemical salts, etcetera.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Heh, given how poor some spells are in their slot, the current situation has more to do with neglect. The overpowered spells were a high priority in 2014, but they ignored the underpowered ones.
If Wotac has reason to believe that is a fact, I'm sure they will playtest it. Adjusting die numbers or whatever does not really need UA, though, that's for conceptual shifts: and we might not see any more Spells that WotC sees a need for a conceptual shift.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
The class rather than the spell description.

The class determines which components. For example, the Bard casts any spell using either Verbal (song, command, chant, etcetera) OR a musical instrument (as the material component), but the Dance Bard uses Somatic (dance) instead of Verbal.

Each class has its own method to cast spells. I can see the Ranger using parts of plants and animals for the material component. Perhaps Artificer uses various elemental ingredients, like alchemical salts, etcetera.
Yeah, it's an idea, but if it were ever going to happen we woild.habe heard about it last year. They aren't doing that sort of radical shift in UA for the PHB at this point.

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
If Wotac has reason to believe that is a fact, I'm sure they will playtest it. Adjusting die numbers or whatever does not really need UA, though, that's for conceptual shifts: and we might not see any more Spells that WotC sees a need for a conceptual shift.
It needs a couple of playtests, because character optimizers are pretty good at spotting issues with particular spells. To make the new versions of spells available to public scrutiny benefits the game.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
It needs a couple of playtests, because character optimizers are pretty good at spotting issues with particular spells. To make the new versions of spells available to public scrutiny benefits the game.
UA is not for optimization, it's for concepts.

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
Yeah, it's an idea, but if it were ever going to happen we woild.habe heard about it last year. They aren't doing that sort of radical shift in UA for the PHB at this point.
It is easy to remove components from a spell description. The classes already describe how it casts a spell anyway. Removing them from the spell description helps clarify the situation, such as the Dance Bard casting silently and never using Verbal.

Stalker0

Legend
How many spells nowadays actually requires an expensive component that is consumed?

It seems to me most components are one time costs....which isn't all that integral tbh.

Remove ads