• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Playtest news...

wedgeski

Adventurer
Glyfair said:
I have to admit, it's pretty disappointing to have an announcement a few days ago that if you are interested in playtesting to "assemble a group" and then have the next announcement be "we've selected the RPGA playtesters."
Why? They've said from the beginning that it will be about 50% RPGA members, 50% random players. Nothing has changed.

Glyfair

Explorer
wedgeski said:
Why? They've said from the beginning that it will be about 50% RPGA members, 50% random players. Nothing has changed.

The implication from the "get a group together" was that they would be taking applications rather than doing it blind (sending out emails "I hope you are interested in playtesting"). Maybe that's not how they are planning on doing it for the D&D Insider, but there was nothing indicated about having existing favored RPGA playtest groups (which is about the only way they could have done it in this time frame).

Ryngard

Explorer
The only issue I have with the above opinions is that DM Points and Enworld Post Counts do not mean much.

For instance I've been DMing 1-2 a week SOLID since 1995 (with a lot of exp prior to that but not on a schedule). But my RPGA count won't show that since it was Home Games and we didn't use RPGA tracking for them.

I read these boards (and several others) every day for 1-4 hours per day (throughout the day when I have time) but I rarely post. Doesn't mean I'm not putting in my time, I just haven't been posting.

I'm cool with not being selected (so far!), I just hope to be able to contribute in some fashion in the future.

BUT being a 4e Playtester would rock! :)

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Irda Ranger said:
You're darn right they should!

And judging by your post count, you haven't been playing enough D&D. Too much talk. Not enough action. Like me.

;)

Nah. I get both in abundance (though you can't really play enough D&D, of course ;) ).

But I'd say that these are great qualifications for a playtester: Plays a lot and talks about it a lot on top of that.

And no, I'm not trying to make a strong case for me becoming a playtester, that's nonsense! ;) (Honestly, I don't know if I even had time - it would depend on when the actual playtesting is going to be done)

Intrope

First Post
Kae'Yoss said:
They should go by ENWorld post counts - and I'm not just saying that because my local postcounts is over 1000 more than the Wizards board count, but because ENWorld posts are usually about D&D, and not about DDM or Magic.
So the official ENWorld playtest group is:
Crothian, Rystil Arden, Hypersmurf, Bront, Thanee, and Piratecat?

That'd be fun game, I bet! ;)

Festivus

First Post
MerricB said:
With the RPGA, they have detailed stats on how much DMing each DM has done. So, if a DM has played a *lot* of 3e, that would probably move them towards the top of the list.

Cheers!

I was thinking similarly that they would weight the draw by your points in RPGA. I sadly have little this year for points since they took my GenCon SoCal away.

So, wait. Because I hated Greyhawk and severely disliked playing with a bunch of 10 year olds at conventions, my years of DMing are nothing? That seems reasonable.

-TRRW

The_Baldman

Explorer
Oldtimer said:
So they've done with randomly picking a few RPGA members and now they might add a few randomly picked WotC forum members to that lot?

Hmm, not quite the way of selecting playtesters earlier comments led me to belive they would use. I suppose it's a rather fast one, though. A lot faster than people applying. Then again, random selection is rather... random.

No matter how it sounds no playtesters were picked 'at random'. Every RPGA playtest group was hand picked. I know this for a fact.

Dave C

Rydac

Explorer
Yeah I too thought upon hearing the "assemble" groups that there would be an application process. Our group was lucky enough to playtest for the 3e Forgotten Realms campaign setting, and we sent in short bio/gaming resumes to be selected for that. We're all frequent long time and avid D&D players, but are not going to look great under RPGA stats.

But still and all glad to hear things are underway....I know all the selectees will have fun!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads