• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Playtesting my new game TimeWatch -- want in?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Is the organization named TimeWatch? Or is that just the game's name? Or a new type of watch that tells the... errr... time?

More seriously - what's the plan for TimeWatch? Is there going to be a cool product line with awesome time travelling adventures?

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
TimeWatch is both the name of the game and the organization, although I suspect a lot of players will end up hacking the rules without using the implied setting. For instance, the default is that you're a TimeWatch agent who's effectively a time cop. You could also play as someone rebelling against TimeWatch and trying to improve (or just change) history yourself, becoming the rebels to the evil empire. You could adapt the rules to handle Buckaroo Banzai / Terminator / Bill & Ted / Continuum, which is really easy and would involve not using the TimeWatch setting at all.

It is not, sadly, a high-tech watch that tells time. Although it could be.

I think the Kickstarter game I'll start with (in a month or so) is about 100K words. If people are digging it and want more, I'll expand out in the different campaign styles to give setting detail on different styles of play. The real thing I think the Kickstarter can fund is more adventure seeds from lots of different, talented designers. Knowing where to start, and building a fun adventure out of history and time travel, can be intimidating for non-alt-history people. The easier I make that the better.

I've also built a really robust tool for chargen (I can build a PC in about 5-10 minutes with it nowadays), and Hypersmurf built me a beautiful character sheet.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Kudos to you man, Ill be following this as it goes through its process. Im currently doing the pre kickstarter play testing for my RPG PASTS, PERSONAS & PROPHECIES. Good luck to you mate, Ill keep an eye out on kick starter!
Thanks - and I want to know more about your game!

Slyfoxgamer

First Post
Thanks - and I want to know more about your game!
Its a Game System I have been developing, check it out, Ill be putting up more info as time goes on, but you can check out my twitter [MENTION=9629]Sly[/MENTION]FoxGames or check out the website Slyfoxgames.com (even better).

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
They're publishing it, doing layout, and we'll be working together to arrange art. Simon at Pelgrane was kind enough to say that I could use the GUMSHOE rules and still publish this solely on my own, but they're really good at what they do, and I didn't feel right using their base rules without publishing through them. Also, I love Pelgrane -- superbly ethical, really nice, and they make great RPGs.

The bulk of the writing is mine, but Hypersmurf is (as always) acting as my muse and source of great ideas, and should the Kickstarter Gods allow I hope to have lots of guest designers pitching and writing 2000 word adventure seeds.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
The #TimeWatch RPG playtest rules are officially out the door, chock full of time traveling investigative goodness! Holler if you want in.

Now, I sleep.

the Jester

Legend
Gah, this sounds really fun, but I doubt whether my group could fit it in. They're eager eager eager to get back to the regular campaign after the Burning Man frenzy took us out for a month, and several are also really hot to play the final playtest material when it comes out.

But good luck with this- I love a good time travel scenario!

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
No worries -- I have about 40 playtest groups right now, slowly increasing, which makes me happy. Yodel if things change. I'm pretty pleased with how it's coming out.

vagabundo

Adventurer
Wow, sounds amazing. My group has played Trail of Cthulhu and loved it. The Gumshoe rules sounds like it would work really well with the concept.

I'd sign us up but our games have been a bit spotty recently.

I'll be keeping my eye on it though.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads