• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Playtesting with more than 4 players

Cervante

First Post
So I've found myself with a slight problem, I have a group willing to playtest but we have more than 4 people. Does anyone know how they plan to handle this or should we just use multiples of some characters?

slobster

Hero
First of all, according to the interview here at enworld:

Jeremy Crawford: Here's what to expect in the packet . . .
Five pregenerated characters
The Caves of Chaos adventure
A bestiary to accompany the adventure
And rules of play, both for players and DMs

So you get five characters. Beyond that, maybe they'll say something in the packets, but I would assume you just double up on a character or two. Maybe you could mix and match racial features and skills to differentiate them somewhat.

S

Sunseeker

I imagine any number higher than 1 may have double characters. I realize the test is intended to showcase a theoretical party of good composition, but at the same time, it must reasonably accommodate multiples.

If a party of all rogues chews through the playtest twice as fast as a normal party, there might be issues. If throwing an extra wizard into a normal party causes an appropriately adjusted adventure to crumble into ruin, there might be an issue.

So, ideally you'll double up, and playtesting with 6, 2 fighters, 1 wizard, 2 clerics and a rogue will be just as good as a fighter, a rogue, a wizard, a cleric and some 5th class.

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
I have been pondering this myself.

We intend to play this at a little long wekend 'convention' of our own and I am not sure exactly how many players we will have, but it will be at LEAST 6. :eek:

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I fully plan to reverse-engineer what the characters get from class, race, theme, and background, and mix-n-match to make a few extra combos.

But it might be "safer" just to play with a couple of twins in the party....

shamsael

First Post
The play test packet includes two different clerics, differentiated with domains to be a melee character and a spell caster.

Thinking back to the pre-3E era when two fighters were basically identical anyway, or back in 1E and earlier when rogues couldn't even customize their skill progression, I don't think it would be a huge problem to just have two people run mechanically identical characters.

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
Yeah my group of interested players would have been 11 lol

But as they aren't really willing to sign up with wizards I am not really willing to bother ;)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Looks like some folks will get to offer feedback on the ease of scaleability, then!

That's a good thing, I think. It's probably better that it's tested by groups of varying size.

Remove ads