Playtesting?

helium3

First Post
Morrus said:
I think you're missing the point. Sure, WotC is unlikely to take legal action against a playtester except in really extreme cases. An agreement isn't only defined by its legal penalties though; by siging that, playtesters are agreeing to it. Most of them will feel (rightly) obliged to adhere to those conditions; some of those that don't may be intimidated into meeting them.

Most agreements tend to be kept to. The legal side of it is a backup; documents aren't drafted with the intention of enforcing them: enforcement is the last resort of an agreement.

It's called "risk reduction". WotC isn't stupid; they know that leaks will occur (heck, I'd be amazed if they haven't strategised to factor that in - even , to an extent, intend to use it), but it reduces the percentage. That's not "amateur"; that's competence.

Heck, think WotC's are acting amateur if you like - I've no shares in the company. But I'm pretty impressed with the level of awareness, anticipation and so forth they've generated; and I guarantee that it's all strategised to the nth degree. Their publicity is working perfectly; and it's going to sell a LOT of PHBs, MMs and DMGs.

Crap, even their as-yet-nonexistent legal documents are generating conversation. Well done, WotC! :D

Look. I'm not missing the point here. I'm not arguing that there shouldn't be NDA's or that we should all know every detail of 4ED before it's being released. All I'm saying is that an NDA that demands that people not even divulge that they've signed it or been given the opportunity to playtest just seems excessively secretive to me, particularly in light of the product being covered by the NDA. Such a provision certainly made more sense when 4ED was not public knowledge.

As for the amateur comment, what I'm specifically referring to (since really, it's the only 4ED event so far) is the announcement presentation at GenCon. I was seriously underwhelmed by it's level of polish. IMO, it had about as much excitement as my parish priest's Sunday sermon. Neither of the presenters sounded excited and in fact sounded downright nervous and the actual video looked slapped together in Powerpoint. I guess I just expected more from an announcement this important. I'm not too keen on the cryptic posts to R&D's blogs either.

BlackMoria

First Post
I wonder what do they mean about joining D&D Insider to "enter the pool".

Most likely meaning is that when they announce the playtest on DnDInsider, the applicants must have

1) signed up for DnDInsider

2) have a group ready.

These applicants are the 'pool' from which WOTC will select from.

Contrarian

First Post
FickleGM said:
I'm more concerned with age requirements, since I have some under-18 players that I would like to use in playtesting. I don't know how NDAs work with minors...

I often wonder to myself "Do WOTC staffers ever try playing this game with 12-year olds?" (I also wonder if they ever play with anybody who isn't a WOTC employee, but that's a separate rant.) I remember when a 10-year could teach himself D&D, but that doesn't seem to be a concern anymore.

WOTC is part of Hasbro. Hasbro must have some sort of market research set-up to test toys and games with kids. WOTC needs to drag some kids into the lab for a "learn to play D&D" test, and see how their game plays in a room that isn't full of experienced D&D fans.

Stalker0

Legend
Here's my question, I signed up on the wotc's forums a while back, and I think I can see all of the DDI stuff right now (until it becomes pay of course). So am I eligible?

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
F4NBOY said:
Or maybe they are seeting up a swimming pool in the next D&D Experience so everyone can refresh themselves.
Oh... I though that D&D Insider members could have betted on whether bard gnomes will be included in the PHB.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
BlackMoria said:
Most likely meaning is that when they announce the playtest on DnDInsider, the applicants must have

1) signed up for DnDInsider

2) have a group ready.

These applicants are the 'pool' from which WOTC will select from.
Yes, but it's unclear if there will be an application to fill or if instead WotC will chose participants directly.

Ashrem Bayle

Explorer
Contrarian said:
I often wonder to myself "Do WOTC staffers ever try playing this game with 12-year olds?" (I also wonder if they ever play with anybody who isn't a WOTC employee, but that's a separate rant.) I remember when a 10-year could teach himself D&D, but that doesn't seem to be a concern anymore.

WOTC is part of Hasbro. Hasbro must have some sort of market research set-up to test toys and games with kids. WOTC needs to drag some kids into the lab for a "learn to play D&D" test, and see how their game plays in a room that isn't full of experienced D&D fans.

If they do that, we need to go back to "D&D" and "AD&D". I'm all for a simpler game existing for younger players, but I like my games with more detail than most 10 year olds can digest.

Ashrem Bayle

Explorer
Nikosandros said:
Yes, but it's unclear if there will be an application to fill or if instead WotC will chose participants directly.

The developers have said numerous times that there will be an application to fill out.

BlackMoria

First Post
Stalker0 wrote:

Here's my question, I signed up on the wotc's forums a while back, and I think I can see all of the DDI stuff right now (until it becomes pay of course). So am I eligible?

Yes, you meet the DnDInsider requirement. It has been stated that if you were already a member of the WOTC forums prior to the DnDInsider, you are already a member of DnDInsider (at least until it changes to a 'pay a fee' model).

Remove ads