• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Please advise my Tweaked Paladin.

Nerogenesis

First Post
I was transformed from my favorite class Warmage and forced to be a paladin against my will. (I smarted off to a god so she changed me into a paladin of hers. I rolled a 1 -.-)

So I spent all week building this Paladin focusing in extreme damage although only twice a day using well placed feats, divine sacrifice and Rhinos Rush

Level 5 Paladin Level 1 Pious Templar Level 1 Monk (Will take a second level of monk for evasion)

Human.

Str 16
Dex 18
Con 18
Int 14
Wis 18
Cha 20

BAB +6/+1

Fort 19 +1 vs Spells
Refl 13 +1 vs Spells
Will 15 +1 Vs Spells

AC = 20 +6 Poverty +1 Deflection +4 Dex -1 Reckless

Feats (The meat and Potato's)
True Faith
Power Attack
Weapon Focus Spear
Divine Might
Stunning Fist (Monk Bonus Feat)

Flaw Feats

Sacred Vow
Vow of Poverty (This adds sooooo much and its a low magic campaign)

Exalted Feats from Vow of Poverty

Exalted Strike
Nymphs Kiss
Sanctify Martial Strike
Nimbus of Light (I ran out of exalted feats lol.)

Flaws (Unearthed Arcana)
Inattentive -4 Spot and Listen
Unreactive -6 Initiative

Traits
Aggressive +2 Initiative -1 ac
Quick -1 hp per level for +10 movespeed.

Alternative Class Features
Smiting Charge from PHB2 Adds +2 damage per paladin level to Smite if used in charge.

Table 2–3: Voluntary Poverty
Level Benefit
1st AC bonus +4
2nd Bonus exalted feat
3rd AC bonus +5, endure elements
4th Exalted strike +1 (magic), bonus exalted feat
5th Sustenance
6th AC bonus +6, deflection +1, bonus exalted feat
7th Resistance +1, ability score enhancement +2

Spells
You get 2 bonus level 1 spells for both Pious Templar AND Paladin
Rhinos Rush x2
Divine Sacrifice x2

Special Abilities
Smite x2
Detect Evil at will
Divine Grace
Lay on Hands for 25
Aura of Courage
Immune to Diseases
Turn Undead x8
Mettle
Stunning Fist
Flurry of Blows
Unarmed Strike 1d6

How to deal the damage.

+4 Strength Spear is a two handed weapon.
+10 Power Attack
+6 Smite evil damage
+10 Smiting Charge
+5 Divine Might
1d8 +1 From the weapon and Exalted strike.
+5d6 Divine Sacrifice
+1 Sanctified Strike
x2 For Rhinos Rush which Doubles Damage on a charge.
Max all of that and you get 150 Damage

Other Perks
Really High Saves
Mettle is evasion for Fort and Will
Actual Evasion at level 8

Ever increasing power with vow of poverty.

All attacks are good and magic aligned.

Decent hitpoints to boot.

Please post suggestions.

Last edited:

Nerogenesis

First Post
No sadly, Pious Templar needs you to use the Gods favoured weapon. Although I personally think that would be a good choice but I am restricted in ways. Maybe in later levels if I wasnt restriced I could go that route.
That and lance would violate the vow of poverty.

irdeggman

First Post
You need to use a few house rules or else the following will hinder you greatly)

Without house rules you can't pick up additional levels of paladin or monk (well whichever one was the first of the two classes you had).

You can't cast spells - divine focus is not on the list of items allowed by the vow of poverty (many DMs house -rule this one but it does require one).

Nerogenesis

First Post
A Gods favored weapon is a divine focus, also neither of the two spell require a focus or even a spell component both just verbal and somatic.

Paladin will never be leveled again but thats ok. Past the second level of monk Pious templar will be the remainder of the build.
Pious Templar levels stack with paladin levels for determining smite damage. I also plan on taking the ascetic knight feat to allow the two monk levels to stack as well. If I later take Favoured by the gods I can resume leveling my paladin class.

parinho7

First Post
i was about to propose a level of mystic wanderer for the charisma bonus to ac but i forgot about the alignment restrictions

although they could be overcome if you were a paladin of freedom/chaos monk

an other prestige class that i like applying to my paladin builds is the grey guard. allows you to smite creatures of any alignment and also use your lay on hands ability to deal damage as a touch attack

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I won't get into the RAW vs RAI, etc., of VoP on Divine Foci, but the Feat Ascetic Knight (CompAdv) will let you level as monk and Paladin, as well as stack levels for certain benefits.

CompAdv- Ascetic Knight
Benefit: Your paladin and monk levels stack for the purpose of determining your unarmed strike damage. For example, a human 3rd-level paladin/1st-level monk would deal 1d8 points of damage with her unarmed strike.
Your paladin and monk levels also stack when determining the extra damage dealt by your smite evil ability.
In addition, you can multiclass freely between the paladin and monk classes. You must still remain lawful good in order to retain your paladin abilities and take paladin levels, and you must remain lawful in order to continue advancing as a monk. You still face the normal XP penalties for having multiple classes more than one level apart.

Remove ads