• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Please evaluate- Ultimate Concentration

the Jester

Legend
Since 1e, I've had a spell in my campaign called ultimate concentration. It allows you to basically maintain concentration on multiple effects at once- the 1e version was 5th level, and allowed you to concentrate on 2 extra effects (total of 3), plus 1 per so many caster levels. (Maybe it was 1 extra, +1/6 caster levels?)

Anyway, concentration has a much higher value in 5e, and I'm trying to write a balanced version of the spell, since I want to have a conversion of every spell that has had a significant impact on my campaign at any point (and it has). I recognize that allowing concentration on multiple effects is a HUGE power up, so my first thought is that it needs to be high level- very high. Since even the highest level casters only ever get 1 slot of 8th and 9th level, I'm evaluating it in that light. Here's my initial conception; I would love feedback. What do you think, especially if you've played high level 5e in its finished form (i.e. not the playtest).

Ultimate Concentration
8th-level abjuration (bard, cleric, druid, wizard)
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Self
Components: V, S
Duration: 8 hours

While this spell persists, your concentration cannot be broken against your will. In addition, you can maintain concentration on two spells at once.

At Higher Levels: If you cast this spell using a 9th level slot, you can maintain concentration on three spells at once.

Farland

Explorer
I think it is over-powered, possibly because the duration is way too long. The concentration mechanism is one of the main balancing effects for spell-casters in 5E, and I think this spell destroys that balance.

eMalc

First Post
I don't have high level play experience to speak from, but to me it would be balanced if you simply gave advantage to all concentration checks rather than complete protection.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
The ultimate things about concentration in 5e is that it is a time-limiting mechanic and a stacking-limiting mechanic. Spells that are Concentration are designed with the idea that they will not last long (a combat, at most) and that there will not be multiple instances of them to increase.

Your spell removes both limitations from Concentration, for basically your whole adventuring day.

So ultimately, you've gotta ask yourself: are you cool with an invisible, flying mage raining down fireballs and magic missiles? Are you cool with a polymorphed elephant tramping into a group of people stupefied by hypnotic pattern?

It's a big ramp-up in caster power to allow them to concentrate on two effects at once, and ESPECIALLY powerful if nothing other than the caster can end that concentration (honestly, the latter effect alone might be worth an 8th-level spell slot...).

To balance it would require a MUCH shorter duration, and perhaps a decay effect, like roll a d20 every round and if you get a 9 or less, the spell ends for you. And even then it is going to let the caster dominate for the short time it is in effect. Power-gamers might build entire character concepts around this one spell.

A high-level slot isn't in and of itself a balancing cost. It's still a 1/day effect, whenever a caster gets it. It simply is a rarely seen 1/day effect. You can make most casters sell their children to the mafia for access to a second concentration slot. This is cheap.

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
There is one concentration spell that lasts up to more than 8 hours (animal shapes, concentration up to 24 hours), and two that last up to 8 hours (control weather and suggestion). It would be nice if this spell could protect those spells for their full duration, but providing the other benefits and/or to other spells for 8 hours is too long.

No high level play to back this up, and I have only thought about it for a few minutes so it may be broken. Maybe cast ultimate concentration and it affects the next two or three spells you cast for their max durations, but it provides no benefit to other spells and you still need to roll concentration for other spells.

the Jester

Legend
Thanks, guys!

I think I'll shorten the duration to 1 hour and reduce the "automatically make concentration checks" to a substantial bonus (rather than advantage). That feels about right for an 8th level spell.

Farland

Explorer
In 5E, advantage is a substantial bonus: in most cases equivalent to a +4 or +5. And 5E has gotten away from fixed bonuses for the most part.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads