• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Please help identify a book; the clue is The Ballad of Baby Boo

shadowthorn

First Post
In the summer of 1985, I read a science fiction book that contained a poem entitled, "The Ballad of Baby Boo". I cannot recall the title or author of the book, but it was a fictional work of a noirish sort. I have reprinted what I recall below. If you can help me identify the book, I will be very grateful. Thanks!

The Ballad of Baby Boo

Papa was a catcher on the company team
Slowing down the rocks as they came down the beam
Some of ‘em were low ones
Some of ‘em were high
Thirty tons of ore in the blink of an eye

Mama was a sprayer in the company tanks
Kept from going crazy by the company tranks
Bees can’t stand the spinning
Bees can’t hardly stand
Mama trucks down aisles pollinating by hand

One day Papa slipped up as it came across the plate
Sixteen tons of ore like the black hand of fate
Burn you mother thruster
Thruster she won’t burn
Papa’s ship is spinning like a funeral urn

Mama got called in by the company …

Damn your stupid husband!
Don’t give us any lip
Can’t you see how much it costs to replace that ship?

(there is one more stanza which I cannot recall, in which Mama kills herself, I believe)

Dagger75

Epic Commoner
You remembered the poem but not the title of the book. I have to look at old mail to make sure I write my address is written correctly and have to double check my cell phone when I give out a phone number.

More power to you buddy, can't help you with the book though.

shadowthorn

First Post
Dagger75 said:
You remembered the poem but not the title of the book

Plot? Not a clue. Principle characters? Not a one. Anything remotely substantive regarding the setting of the book? Nope. The silly poem (which I believe referred to the main protagonist, but was not referred to elsewhere in the novel in any way)? I've barely forgotten a word.

I suppose its the elaborative power of rhyme and meter that's kept the dang thing in my head all these years. That, and my determination to find that dang book. ;)

shadowthorn

First Post
Issue resolved! "Poppa Was a Catcher" was published in 1987 by Steven Gould in the anthology Cities in Space (which I now own, btw). I finally started searching online by the first line of the poem, and changed the spelling from "papa" to "poppa". This led me to a link suggesting an author, which led me to his web site and email address. He confirmed that he was the author and I found the book in a used book store this weekend. Hooray!!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads