• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

please ignore or perhaps delete thanks

Shabe

First Post
So I've seen it stated that the v************e of 4th ed has been so broken that it can't be treated as a roleplaying system and that they now have to treat it as a board game like heroquest or monopoly.

Could i just get a list of what breaks the game so that it may not be treated as an rpg (I understand that it might not be any one thing that broke the proverbial camel's back).

Secondly is this just because these things are in a D&D game or if they were included in any rpg would it spoil the v************e of the game?

Last edited:

Mort_Q

First Post
"You keep using that word. I don't think it means what you think it means."

~ Inigo Montoya (The Princess Bride)

Shabe

First Post
Mort_Q said:

Argh, we're not going to get into that debate are we, should i say game world consistency instead? *edit ->* perhaps what breaks your suspension of disbelief? how about what breaks the fantasy physics of the game?

(hmmm time for some deep breaths some beer and finish watching the sweden spain match).

Last edited:

Saitou

First Post
The only thing I can think of is Proning a gelatinous cube or other amorphous creature. Still, that can easily be interpretated as 'losing it's balance, awareness, etc'.

Other than that, any attempt at simulationism will definitely break verisimilitude.

Mort_Q

First Post
Shabe said:
Argh, we're not going to get into that debate are we...

I bring it up merely because I know others will. That quote is what always pops into my head when I read the word verisimilitude.

It's just one of those words that, rightly or wrongly, people define differently.

Eldorian

First Post
Mort_Q said:

Woah. I hadn't bothered to look up that word until now. Man, no one on these forums knows what they're saying.

Vegepygmy

First Post
Eldorian said:
Woah. I hadn't bothered to look up that word until now. Man, no one on these forums knows what they're saying.
I know of many people on these forums who know exactly what "verisimilitude" means and use it quite appropriately.

I have seen a few people who obviously do not. But the majority do.

lutecius

Explorer
there are already lots of threads about this, they've all been moved to "general" (i'm not sure why though) but i'll bite anyway.

Of course saying that 4e is more a board game than a rpg is an overstatement but many wargamey aspects of dnd have been amplified.

Things that break verisimilitude/consistency/immersion/SoD (or whatever you call it) for me:

:1: combat moves that can be executed only once per encounter/day, no matter what.

:2: powers that affect every target, no matter the type or circumstance. eg sliding an opponent much bigger than the character, or charms and illusions affecting mindless opponents.

:3: effects triggered by a successful hit (lots of them) but seem completely unrelated (teleport, healing allies) to a physical blow.

The wargame comparison is particularly appropriate because 4e puts the focus on movement and positioning, but the general approach for powers reminds me a lot of Magic the Gathering too.

Last edited:

Also the hitpoint thing, I completely understand what people say about the whole its motivation too or whatever, but I still have problems with it. I just don't know whether my character was actually hit by an attack or just "demoralized" by the near miss (which should really by modeled by the to-hit mechanic and only the to-hit mechanic) until hes healed by the warlord's kind words or dead. I've really just been not thinking about, it only bugs me when I think about it for way too long.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads