• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Please rate Eagle Claw Attack

Please rate the usefulness/must have of Eagle Claw Attack

• 1 - You should never take this feat

Votes: 13 28.9%
  • 2- Not very useful

Votes: 12 26.7%
  • 3- of limited use

Votes: 12 26.7%
  • 4- below average

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • 5- Average

Votes: 4 8.9%
  • 6- above average

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 7- above average and cool

• 8- good

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 9- Very good

• 10- Everyone should take this feat

smetzger

Explorer
Given that you already have the prerequisites what is the usefulnes/must have of the Eagle Claw Attack feat.

Eagle Claw Attack [General]
REQ: Base Attack bonus +2, Improved Unarmed Strike, Sunder, Dex 15+

You can strike an opponents weapon or shield with an unarmed strike. Sword and Fist, pg 6

Jeremy

Explorer
Basically having to take sunder twice when in most situations the monk could simply grapple the person and render the weapon useless (but still sellable or stealable) while still beating him senseless makes this feat of very questionable use.

Especially given the rule that you can only sunder an object up to one size larger than the one you are using and unarmed strikes are considered tiny.

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
I built a whole character concept (Sacred Fist) around Eagle Claw Strike-- my character eschews weapons and doesn't mind smashing up other folks' weapons as well.

It was good in theory, anyway.

Sunder is an ability that you really want at low levels, but unfortunately a low-level unarmed monk is not capable of the kind of damage you need to make Sunder cool.

Needless to say after bouncing my hand off a hobgoblin's sword once, I realized the error of my ways. It's difficult (nigh impossible) to do 10 or more points of damage to a metal weapon.

I still think it is a cool "concept" feat, but it doesn't do much.

However, it is a link in the OA martial arts chain for Empty Hand Mastery, which increases your unarmed damage die, and I think I may try to get Improved Sunder as well.

Of course by this time I'd have to be about 12th level or so and I think it would just be throwing another Feat away for a character schtick that will rarely see play.

Wulf

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Jeremy said:
Especially given the rule that you can only sunder an object up to one size larger than the one you are using and unarmed strikes are considered tiny.

Hmm... I should probably discuss that with my DM.

I long ago made a house rule that unarmed strikes are considered the size of the attacker for opposed checks like this (and Disarm...)

I would be very surprised if there wasn't something official on that somewhere. Maybe in the S&F errata? (crosses his fingers)

It just doesn't make sense otherwise. Gah.

Macbrea

First Post
S&F has a variant rule in it that stats a double handed disarm counts as the size of the creature. My suggestion is house rule that a double handed sunder also counts the same size.

I never knew a monk COULDN"T use his unarmed strike to sunder. Seeing this feat in S&F was quite a surprise. I decided play it as i though, monks can sunder just as well as any other weapon, and changed Eagle Claw Attack to let monks use unarmed strikes as either piercing or slashing weapons.

Macbrea

First Post
After the errata that stated that bludgeoning weapons could damage objects then a monk was able to damage weapons and shields.

So, at this point this feat is basicly useless. Unless it meant to say.

Eagle Claw Attack [General]
REQ: Base Attack bonus +2, Improved Unarmed Strike, Sunder, Dex 15+

You can strike an opponents weapon or shield with an unarmed strike. As if they are the same size as the weapon they are attacking. All damage to the weapon is considered to be real.

Otherwise what this feat is saying:

If you take this feat you may do an ability you already could have done. Which is attack small weapon held by an opponent.
Or a tiny weapon if your are small. In both cases you have to be either a monk or wearing guantlets as subdual damage does nothing to an object.

S

shurai

Eagle Claw Attack is pretty lame in terms of usefulness, and it completely misses the point.

Eagle Claw is an actual kung fu style. Like most of them, it teaches basic punches, kicks, and stancework. But its interesting uniqueness lies in grappling techniques, particularly joint locking and pressure point use.

Personally, it was one of my largest S&F disapointments to read that feat. Attacking weapons!? Sheesh. I wish they'd written the feat to give a bonus to grapple checks, or perhaps a +2 to the save DC for a stunning attempt.

The real world is such an interesting place that sometimes making something up is unnecessary. Anyway, sorry for the flamebait here.

-S

Remove ads