• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Please suggest some D20 supplements for me

Profane Deicide

First Post
Greetins!

I finally got some cash to burn on D&D books! about 150 bucks plus some change :cool:

Now the question is....what to get?

At the moment, I'm going to be unable to play for about 8 months, but during this time I plan to busy myself with createing a nice wicked world from scratch and I'm going to need lots of inspiration as well as crunchy bits.

What kind of theme I'm going for I am cluess as for right now- so throw out just about anything that you found useful.

thanks in advance!

Crothian

First Post
Creating a world from scratch, that is actually a good start.

For gods, I suggest Book of the Rightious. Use the gods and churches and myths presented there., It's done awesomely, and will take care of all that hassle for you.

Get Medival Guide to a Magical Society. THis is brilliant for people just starting a campaign world.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
I agree with Crothy, if you're going to create a world, Book of the Righteous is an EXCELLENT way to go. Also pick up Freeport: City of Adventure and Bluffside, for some great city based campaigns. Another option and this obviously works better if you plan ahead, are the Malhavoc Press Event books (Requiem for a God, Cry Havoc, When the Sky Falls), Also if you use BotR, get The Unholy Champion's Handbook, for some great villians. Book of Vile Darkness is also another way to spice up your villians. For some just fun times, modules like Rappen Athuk and Tomb of Abysthor are very pluggable. Finally for monsters, Tome of Horrors, and the upcoming Book of Fiends from Green Ronin fill out that roster nicely. (Updated to 3.5 no less! :) )

Last edited:

Nightfall

[The following post is just an opinion!]

Ugh! I hated that! I felt was just so badly written I couldn't believe anyone put that out. I wouldn't give that the time of day! But hey it's a PDF..and what do I know?

Olive

Explorer
Nightfall said:
[The following post is just an opinion!]

Ugh! I hated that! I felt was just so badly written I couldn't believe anyone put that out. I wouldn't give that the time of day! But hey it's a PDF..and what do I know?
I've never seen it (assuming your talking about the AD&D World Builders Guide), but I've heard lots of good things about it.

Crothian

First Post
Nightfall said:

It's not that bad. It has some nice info for walking people through some of the basics. I think its best if one has no idea what they are doing or where to start. But the more focused you are at the beginning the less useful it will be for you.

Nightfall

Crothian said:
It's not that bad. It has some nice info for walking people through some of the basics. I think its best if one has no idea what they are doing or where to start. But the more focused you are at the beginning the less useful it will be for you.

Croth,

It's not that. I just didn't care for Baker's style, nor the way the book was presented. Sure it useful for those just starting out...but I still was feeling like I was reading through concrete or something similiar.

philreed

Adventurer
Supporter
I'd recommend grabbing Tome of Horrors. It's 30 and packed with hundreds of cool monsters that you'll get thousands of adventures ideas from. This one's from Necromancer Games.

Also worth grabbing is Dynasties & Demagogues and Splintered Peace. Both of these were published by Atlas Games.

Finally, I think that Guildcraft (Bastion Press) is also handy for any DM to own.

Remove ads