• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Please suggest some D20 supplements for me

I feel a bit uncomfortable recommending something without having much of any idea of what you like or what you're looking for, but here's what I would recommend as most useful to me in developing settings I like:
  • Midnight campaign setting -- great alt.rules and great design to use as inspiration.
  • d20 Call of Cthulhu -- tons of stuff to steal from here. Even the Sanity mechanic would be useful in a non-CoC campaign, I think.
  • Monsternomicon -- great new monsters, lots of flavor. This almost does it for me in terms of monsters. I do need more fiends, though. Which brings me to...
  • Green Ronin's book of Fiends. I have the first two (the one's that are released already) and count them amongst my favorite d20 books. Combining them with a third book and updating them to 3.5 is just gravy.

Ashrem Bayle

Explorer
Midnight

As I always say, if you are looking for a dark fantasy, post-apocolyptic Tolkien, rare magic setting, then you can't do better than Midnight.

If you are looking for something a bit brighter, with knights and great wizards, and such, steer clear of Midnight. It ain't for you.

Take Middle Earth, Cthulhu, Ravenloft and Darksun, shake once, and you have Midnight.

Be sure to check my review here on ENWorld.

Ghostwind

First Post
Cash to burn can be a dangerous thing concerning RPGs. Without knowing your tastes, I can only offer my opinions in general (in no particular order of preference)...

Campaign Setting Core Books:
* Oathbound (Bastion Press) - if you liked the attitude and edginess that Dark Sun and Planescape has, this is a must.
* Midnight (Fantasy Flight Games) - a very dark and demanding setting where good doesn't necessary prevail.
* Kingdoms of Kalamar (Kenzer) - Probably the best detailed traditional fantasy world done by a third party publisher.
* Forgotten Realms (Wotc) - An old favorite.

Rules Supplements:
* Book of the Righteous (Green Ronin) - an excellent guide to creating pantheons.
* From Stone to Steel (MonkeyGod Enterprises) - the best weapons and armor resource book on the market.
* Airships (Bastion Press) - everything you need to bring flying ships into your campaign world.
* Redhurst: Academy of Magic (Human Head) - the first fully detailed wizard's college for d20.
* Toolbox (AEG) - essential for any GM, in my opinion.
* Broadsides! (Living Imagination) - one of the better naval supplements.
* Torn Asunder: Critical Hits (Bastion Press) - breathing a new perspective into critical hits and healing.
* Pale Designs: A Poisoner's Handbook (Bastion Press) - the most comprehensive collection of d20 poisons on the market.
* Monte Cook's Arcana Unearthed (Malhavoc Press) - yes, it's that good.
* Kingdoms of Kalamar Player's Guide (Kenzer) - I call this an "unnamed core book" because it really complements the existing Player's Handbook nicely.

Monster Supplements:
* Monsternomicon (Privateer Press) - not your typical creature book.
* Tome of Horrors (Necromancer Games) - if you want to revisit the former editions' monsters, this is it.
* Into the Green (Bastion Press) - good ecological resource for "green" environments.
* Bestiary of Loerem (Sovereign Press) - this is a hidden jewel that many overlook. More creature oriented than monster.
* Legions of Hell and Armies of the Abyss (Green Ronin) - there is a real reason why demons and devils are feared.

Player/GM supplements:
* Path of ... (Fantasy Flight Games) - these four books are a cornerstone of my campaign and game design.
* Guildcraft (Bastion Press) - a good resource if you plan on incorporating guilds as a regular part of your players' world.
* Spells and Spellcraft (Fantasy Flight Games) - lots of new spells and magic options but you do have to watch game balance on a few.
* Mercenaries (AEG) - probably their best "one word" title to date. I use it regularly.

City Supplements:
* Streets of Silver (Living Imagination) - one of the best.
* Bluffside: City on the Edge (Thunderhead Games/Mystic Eye Games) - one of the first and a true classic.
* Freeport: City of Adventure (Green Ronin) - a staple port in my world.
* Cities of Fantasy series by Mongoose - these books are great for dropping into any world, some need a bit more tweaking than others.
* Seven Cities and Seven Strongholds (Atlas Games) - another good investment.
* Sheoloth: City of the Drow (Mongoose) - some rules problems but great resource for mining ideas.

Non-fantasy Options:
* Spycraft (AEG) - great modern rules and fantastic at capturing that "Mission: Impossible" feel.
* d20 Modern (Wotc) - works well on its own or even combining it with Spycraft.
* Urban Arcana (Wotc) - if you play d20 Modern and want to bring a bit of fantasy back into the game, this does it.
* Dark Inheritance (Mythic Justice) - very original and brings back an element of horror and goth to the modern setting.
* Babylon 5 Fact Book (Mongoose) - if you liked B5 and want to run a sci-fi campaign, this is it.

I know I am forgetting some really good titles, but this is all that comes to mind right away.

Corey

First Post
Nightfall said:
[The following post is just an opinion!]

Ugh! I hated that! I felt was just so badly written I couldn't believe anyone put that out. I wouldn't give that the time of day! But hey it's a PDF..and what do I know?

Ahhh, dissent. Manuel, take this man out and shoot him, please..naw, just kidding. I’m always glad to stand up for my opinions. Nice to meet you, Nightfall. ;)

The Worldbuilder’s Guidebook shines as a methodical process for world creation. It gives you a starting point and walks you through to the end, helping to cut down on hopping from whim to whim. It provides the framework where you can hang all the other material you take from other sources.

Corey

Gospog

First Post
The following are the best D&D D20 supplements that I've bought in the past year or two:

- Warrens of the Rat Men (Scarred Lands)
- Monsternomicon (Iron Kingdoms)
- Depths of Despair (PEG, and quite generic, excellent book)
- Both Book of Fiends (Legions of Hell and Armies of the Abyss)

Faraer

Explorer
For detailing rather than top-down concept, if it's a generally pseudo-medieval setting the most useful book will be Gary Gygax's World Builder.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Some really nice stuff here guys. I especially liked some of the recommendations by Ghostwind. :) Btw do buy Midnight and Scarred Lands stuff, if only so me and Ash can still draw some paychecks. ;)

philreed

Adventurer
Supporter
Joshua Dyal said:
[*]Monsternomicon -- great new monsters, lots of flavor. This almost does it for me in terms of monsters. I do need more fiends, though. Which brings me to...

I'm glad someone else suggested this. Since I've been working on the IKCS I didn't feel right plugging it. It's a very good book.

Profane Deicide

First Post
Wow!

Thanks again for the feedback!

I've made a list, Tonight I'll head on down to the game-store and do some serious browesing. That'll thin the list out a bit and give me a much better idea as to what I want.

Remove ads