D&D General please tell me about the old psionic classes?

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
First reaction: yuck.

Second reaction: okay, nevermind, that's cool.

Still, I like psychic "magic" to not be subject to counterspell, antimagic fields, etc. Though I understand that would be a pain to balance without building the system from scratch.
not being affected would make it overpowered at many tables, would it being a roll suffice? unlike other magic it can just get through half the time?

First reaction: yuck.

Second reaction: okay, nevermind, that's cool.

Still, I like psychic "magic" to not be subject to counterspell, antimagic fields, etc. Though I understand that would be a pain to balance without building the system from scratch.
It gets better. In Pathfinder 2nd edition, Psychic Magic was rebranded again and called Occult Magic. 😋 It was one of four magical traditions in PF2. The other three being Arcane, Divine and Primal.

Aldarc

Legend
I would also note that Dreamscarred Press actually had their own fantasy setting - Third Dawn - where there was no divine or arcane magic, only psionics. Yes, that meant among other things that there was no resurrection.

did they just re-invent 4e?
It does seem that way.

From Pathfinder 2nd edition:
Arcane Arcane spellcasters use logic and rationality to categorize the magic inherent in the world around them. Because of its far-reaching approach, the arcane tradition has the broadest spell list, though it’s generally poor at affecting the spirit or the soul. Wizards are the most iconic arcane spellcasters, poring over tomes and grimoires, though arcane sorcerers study the secrets of their blood to unlock the power within themselves.

Divine The power of the divine is steeped in faith, the unseen, and belief in a power source from beyond the Material Plane. Clerics are the most iconic divine spellcasters, beseeching the gods to grant them their magic. Divine sorcerers can use the blood of their celestial or fiendish ancestors as a divine conduit, and champions call upon their gods to grant them martial prowess through divine guidance.

Occult The practitioners of occult traditions seek to understand the unexplainable, categorize the bizarre, and otherwise access the ephemeral in a systematic way. Bards are the most iconic occult spellcasters, collecting strange esoterica and using their performances to influence the mind or elevate the soul, and occult sorcerers strive to understand the mysterious power in their blood.

Primal An instinctual connection to and faith in the world, the cycle of day and night, the turning of the seasons, and the natural selection of predator and prey drive the primal tradition. Druids are the most iconic primal spellcasters, calling upon the magic of nature through deep faith and a connection to the plants and animals around them, and primal sorcerers call upon their fey or beast blood to harness the same natural energies.

Yes, Sorcerers in PF2 now come in four different flavors. 😋

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
I would also note that Dreamscarred Press actually had their own fantasy setting - Third Dawn - where there was no divine or arcane magic, only psionics. Yes, that meant among other things that there was no resurrection.
go on I am intrigued by this?

It does seem that way.

From Pathfinder 2nd edition:
Arcane Arcane spellcasters use logic and rationality to categorize the magic inherent in the world around them. Because of its far-reaching approach, the arcane tradition has the broadest spell list, though it’s generally poor at affecting the spirit or the soul. Wizards are the most iconic arcane spellcasters, poring over tomes and grimoires, though arcane sorcerers study the secrets of their blood to unlock the power within themselves.

Divine The power of the divine is steeped in faith, the unseen, and belief in a power source from beyond the Material Plane. Clerics are the most iconic divine spellcasters, beseeching the gods to grant them their magic. Divine sorcerers can use the blood of their celestial or fiendish ancestors as a divine conduit, and champions call upon their gods to grant them martial prowess through divine guidance.

Occult The practitioners of occult traditions seek to understand the unexplainable, categorize the bizarre, and otherwise access the ephemeral in a systematic way. Bards are the most iconic occult spellcasters, collecting strange esoterica and using their performances to influence the mind or elevate the soul, and occult sorcerers strive to understand the mysterious power in their blood.

Primal An instinctual connection to and faith in the world, the cycle of day and night, the turning of the seasons, and the natural selection of predator and prey drive the primal tradition. Druids are the most iconic primal spellcasters, calling upon the magic of nature through deep faith and a connection to the plants and animals around them, and primal sorcerers call upon their fey or beast blood to harness the same natural energies.

Yes, Sorcerers in PF2 now come in four different flavors. 😋
is 4e destiny itself?

I still do not see how the bard feels occult but I might be letting my own feelings blind me.

Voadam

Legend
go on I am intrigued by this?
Third Dawn Campaign Setting for 3.5.

Enter a world of psionic power and mental might, where the thoughts of its citizens can become reality. Explore a world devastated millenia ago by a disaster brought about by magic, a magic that no longer exists. Discover a world without gods or clerics, without wizards or mages, a world that embraces the power of psionics and the art of the mind. Enter the Third Dawn Campaign Setting.

Learn about the history of the varied cultures of Ksaren, the world of the Third Dawn Campaign setting, in this over 140 page book detailing everything you need to start a campaign within the world of Third Dawn. Journey in a world where psionics is prominent and magic non-existent. Whether you are dueling to raise in rank of the Ophid Protectorate, or studying in the libraries of Alyria, or simply fighting for your life against the Hawk's Claw raiders, life in Ksaren holds a vast array of possibilities.

Included in the Third Dawn Campaign Setting, you will also find:
12 playable races
The society mind and thoughtsinger classes, as well as revised versions of the soulknife and wilder
6 new prestige classes
A host of new feats, powers, skills, and items

Explore a world where psionics is part of everyday life, explore the fantastic made real, explore the Third Dawn Campaign Setting.
Also came out in a True20 version.

Voadam

Legend
3.0 and 3.5 psionics were released in the srd so you can get and check those out for free.

The 3.5 psionics SRD stuff can be found here. You can check out the 3.5 psion, wilder, psychic warrior, and soulknife full psionic base classes there.

As mentioned earlier psion is a lot like a wizard with a point system instead of slots, different themed power lists and specializations, and a few point costing enhancement options in each power. Wilder is like a sorcerer using the psionic system, fewer known powers but they can do more power manipulation of them. Psychic warriors are sort of a half psionic caster martial class using psionic points and powers to buff themselves. Soulknives are psionic but do not use the psionic point system, instead they manifest a psionic weapon like blade and have class specific non-point powers.

3.5 also introduced a couple weird psionic races like elans-humans who turned themselves into psionic aberrations, blues-blue skinned freak goblins who are naturally psionic, and a few other oddballs such as adapting Dark Sun half-giants and thri-kreen as naturally psionic races.

The 3.0 psionics SRD stuff is harder to find online now though. I used to use the opengamingfoundation website as my reference for the files but they no longer host them.

3.0 just had the Psion and Psychic Warrior as full base classes, the Soulknife was there but a prestige class you had to multiclass into at medium-high levels and not a stand alone base class.

2e's psion class used points instead of slots and their powers also required a successful activation roll by rolling the applicable stat or under on a d20. They also had a system where any character had a shot at having a minor stand alone wild talent psionic power. Dark Sun had psionics integrated and I believe everybody had a wild talent.

In 4e I did not get Player's Handbook 3 which has the psionic classes so I can't really comment on them besides saying it had psions, made monks a psionic class, had two more psionic classes, and a neat backstory for psionics as essentially a world antibody defense to being invaded by things not of the world. 4e also developed their own psionic races.

Remove ads