D&D General please tell me about the old psionic classes?

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
Is it because relatively recent instances of IRL people believing in the supernatural feels more problematic than potentially people way back yonder* in the past believing in magic?
*if one feels that the quasi-medieval setting of the fantasy genre even is a parallel to the real farther-back past.
there are people who sincerely believe that the world is run by devil-summoning cannibals some of them are "influencers" if we bend over one why not all as crazy people are all-consuming

there are people who sincerely believe that the world is run by devil-summoning cannibals some of them are "influencers" if we bend over one why not all as crazy people are all-consuming
I'm not exactly sure what you are asking, suggesting, or trying to say. I was positing a reason Clint_L might dislike New Age-era magic but be fine with faux-medieval magic.

Mind of tempest

I'm not exactly sure what you are asking, suggesting, or trying to say. I was positing a reason Clint_L might dislike New Age-era magic but be fine with faux-medieval magic.
my point is that fundamentally both are the same and have the same insane followers in these modern days, if we follow the idea logically we start losing all the fantasy in the fantasy game you ignore them in the professional sphere I have no idea about the political or social spheres I am less able to know what to do

Then there are Pathfinder 1st edition's Occult Classes:

Kineticist: With a connection to the elements, a kineticist can bring forth energy in the form of kinetic blasts. Instead of casting psychic spells, the kineticist uses unique psychic spell-like abilities called wild talents to manipulate elemental energy and matter.

Medium: By contacting spirits in places of power, the medium allows the personalities of legendary heroes to overcome his own, vastly changing his abilities and spells. He holds seances to benefit himself and his allies.

Mesmerist: A mesmerist’s piercing stare lets him insinuate himself into other people’s minds. A master of enchantment and illusion, the mesmerist controls and influences the behavior of others.

Occultist: To make use of his powers, an occultist channels psychic energy into a varied collection of antiques and mementos with storied pasts. Every type of implement allows him to use a different school of magic.

Psychic: With her incredibly potent mind, the psychic can cast spells that are more powerful than those of members of any other occult class. She accesses these spells through a specific discipline, and can bend and amplify psychic spells as she casts them.

Spiritualist: Attuned to the spirits of the dead, a spiritualist forms a bond with a phantom—a returned spirit that has unfinished business but did not become undead. This spectral ally can alternate between forms, emerging from the safety of the spiritualist’s mind to take on an incorporeal form or an ectoplasmic body.

The Manual of Adventurous Resources: Complete by Purple Martin Games for Level Up converted PF1's Kineticist class for A5e for it's Elementalist class.

my point is that fundamentally both are the same and have the same insane followers in these modern days, if we follow the idea logically we start losing all the fantasy in the fantasy game you ignore them in the professional sphere I have no idea about the political or social spheres I am less able to know what to do
I see. In that case, I generally agree. We're playing games about people who live in a world where magic is real. That's anathema to what a lot of us would like people to believe in our day-to-day life, but that's true of both eras of magic-believing. One is just insulated by time.

That said, if you have a cousin who is treating their lupus by paying for pyramid crystal unicorn violet ray machine emissions and not taking their meds, I can see how one might be able to suspend your disbelief for wizards in pointy hats but not early 20th century mysticism.
*None of which may well be any part of what Clint was meaning, this is all conjecture and I'll let them speak for themself.

Mind of tempest

I see. In that case, I generally agree. We're playing games about people who live in a world where magic is real. That's anathema to what a lot of us would like people to believe in our day-to-day life, but that's true of both eras of magic-believing. One is just insulated by time.

That said, if you have a cousin who is treating their lupus by paying for pyramid crystal unicorn violet ray machine emissions and not taking their meds, I can see how one might be able to suspend your disbelief for wizards in pointy hats but not early 20th century mysticism.
*None of which may well be any part of what Clint was meaning, this is all conjecture and I'll let them speak for themself.
I see the point but I have hit the point where if I endlessly worry if crazy people will do with a cool fantasy idea we will never make progress in making fantasy more varied than the generic.

I do see a logic to make certain we are not directly feeding them try to make it feel different as let's face it I saw I guy have to put up a disclaimer on a video as people kept feeding people the lie that you can summon succubi.

Mind of tempest

Then there are Pathfinder 1st edition's Occult Classes:

Kineticist: With a connection to the elements, a kineticist can bring forth energy in the form of kinetic blasts. Instead of casting psychic spells, the kineticist uses unique psychic spell-like abilities called wild talents to manipulate elemental energy and matter.

Medium: By contacting spirits in places of power, the medium allows the personalities of legendary heroes to overcome his own, vastly changing his abilities and spells. He holds seances to benefit himself and his allies.

Mesmerist: A mesmerist’s piercing stare lets him insinuate himself into other people’s minds. A master of enchantment and illusion, the mesmerist controls and influences the behavior of others.

Occultist: To make use of his powers, an occultist channels psychic energy into a varied collection of antiques and mementos with storied pasts. Every type of implement allows him to use a different school of magic.

Psychic: With her incredibly potent mind, the psychic can cast spells that are more powerful than those of members of any other occult class. She accesses these spells through a specific discipline, and can bend and amplify psychic spells as she casts them.

Spiritualist: Attuned to the spirits of the dead, a spiritualist forms a bond with a phantom—a returned spirit that has unfinished business but did not become undead. This spectral ally can alternate between forms, emerging from the safety of the spiritualist’s mind to take on an incorporeal form or an ectoplasmic body.

The Manual of Adventurous Resources: Complete by Purple Martin Games for Level Up converted PF1's Kineticist class for A5e for it's Elementalist class.
kinticist sounds rather one trick?

did 3.5 not have some other being possed class?

Did Mesmerist need to be a full class seems more like a sub area?

occultist, I have no idea

psychic I need more details?

spiritualist sounds sort of like pathfinder's other single-summon master?

I mean the names of ego, id and super-ego, psyche is a a greek goddese for a reason.
note butterfly theme psionic good guys when? as psyche is depicted with butterfly wings
You ever played Guild Wars 2? The Mesmer class, a psychic illusionist, has a lot of butterfly motifs; I think I just realized why!

Incenjucar

Legend
kinticist sounds rather one trick?

did 3.5 not have some other being possed class?

Did Mesmerist need to be a full class seems more like a sub area?

occultist, I have no idea

psychic I need more details?

spiritualist sounds sort of like pathfinder's other single-summon master?
Kineticists have quite a few tricks.

My level 1 kineticist can already choose between several different ranged and melee weapon abilities every single attack using 4 different damage types, can craft stone tools or a refreshing glass of ice water at-will, or make the same move or disappear, can don good armor at will so he can otherwise travel at full speed, can gain DR against 4 damage types as a reaction, and can build a hot tub out of force of will. And he can do all of these all day every day. Level 1.

Last edited:

Mind of tempest

You ever played Guild Wars 2? The Mesmer class, a psychic illusionist, has a lot of butterfly motifs; I think I just realized why!
I am glad to be of some use.
Kineticists have quite a few tricks.

My level 1 kineticist can already choose between several different ranged and melee weapon abilities every single attack using 4 different damage types, can craft stone tools or a refreshing glass of ice water at-will, or make the same move or disappear, can don good armor at will so he can otherwise travel at full speed, can gain DR against 4 damage types as a reaction, and can build a hot tub out of force of will. And he can do all of these every day. Level 1.
okay clearly they have some depth

Remove ads