• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Plotting and RPing....

Janx

Hero
for combat, read my blog entries about making it faster and making it descriptive. They are compatible.

For plotting, that gets trickier. Go read up on the "3 act model" for plays and movies. The gist is:
act 1:
see hero be awesome (introduction of character)
see hero run into problem (or it runs into him)
see hero start working on problem
act 2:
see hero work on problem (a few more encounters...)
setback on here (hero had moment where it looked like problem was solved, then it got worse, much worse)
act 3:
hero works to overcome worse situation
hero confronts BBEG (climax)
hero is shown afterwards with happy ending (denouement)

Now in a D&D game, you've got to be fairly flexible in using any framework of "what happens", because players should be free to do anything.

However, often you'll find that once the players choose to "solve a problem", there's a fairly predictable path they will take. Any choices in a given encounter may be random, but if the BBEG lives in Castle NorthFromHere, you can bet they're going to go there when they say "we want to kill the BBEG in his castle"

So, as other folks have said, talk to your players about what they're PCs want to pursue next (relative to what the PCs know). They may be looking for a business or political opportunity. They may be wanting to solve a problem that you've left dangling.

Make your next adventure be one or two of those items.
The introduction is you telling the players how everything's going for them since the last game (how much time has passed, has anything changed).
Then you bring in the problem (or opportunity) that the players were interested in. Try to make it personal, something they will want to pursue with an obvious vector of where to start (he went thataway!).

Now you're in Act 2
You're next elements you need are going to be the "path to the solution". Expect the PCs to do some investigating, so you'll need an NPC or two with information.

Expect some NPCs to try to stop the PCs (competition, or the BBEG sent them), so you've got a combat encounter or two. These are probably goons, this isn't a major combat yet.

Now for the setback. When the PCs are close to the goal, it's good literary practice to have a twist or setback that makes things look worse and harder.
The setback will vary as it must pertain to the plot (goal) and the environment. It might be the bridge collapsing, ship sinking, information that was false, a betrayal by an NPC, or even the BBEG was really a puppet, so they're work isn't done. Don't over-use the betrayal angle in your games, you need your PCs to trust others, or you can't use the betrayal tool.

Now you're in Act 3
More encounters, whatever makes sense for the PCs to finish pursuing the goal and re-arm themselves (figuratively or literally). This might mean getting the a new item to defeat the BBEG, or just getting un-lost.

This should wrap up with the big boss fight, or challenge with the "opposition".

The final scene shows the aftermath. The PCs have won, so show them back at the inn, celebrating their victory, maidens offer their services, the mayor holds a parade, etc. if the PCs fail, the aftermath is appropriate to whatever failure means. The cool thing about failure, is then this adventure is really "Act 2" of a larger scope play. Just like Empire Strikes Back was reall Act 2.

The key to remember is the 3 act model is a just a model. Deviate to add flavor (though in the beginning, deviate less). It can be layered, where each Star wars movie had 3 acts inside of them, and each movie in the trilogy represented 1 act of the model.

And at all times, be flexible. If the PCs find a way to invalidate or bypass something you wrote, then bypass it. If you can recycle something, fine, but don't penalize good player ideas by neutralizing them just so you can stick to what you wrote.

As a general rule, I avoid writing "The players will do XYZ" or "the NPCs will do XYZ to the PCs"

Instead, I write sections for "If the players do XYZ..." and "the NPCs will TRY to do XYZ to the PCs"

The difference is in expecation of what may happen, versus forcing the matter.

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
For my new campaign, I'm having the players roll all the dice. This frees me up to get more narrative about how the monsters act, attack, et cetera.

I'm also implementing new combat options based on BAB. Each round, a PC may take up to his BAB as a bonus to attack rolls, damage rolls (for attacks that require an attack roll), or AC. He must take a corresponding penalty to one of the other areas. So, a 1st-level fighter could go +1 damage and -1 attack roll, or +1 attack rolls and -1 AC. (N.B. I've also removed Combat Expertise and Power Attack from the list of feats.)

Next, I want to set up some sort of incentive for players to describe their characters actions, especially in combat. I'm still dithering about where to go with this.

Last edited:

TheNovaLord

First Post
Im gonna disagree a bit

Adding too much flourish is a bad thing in combat

1. Its slow it down
2. It therefore makes the combat last longer
3. it therefore makes combat too important a % of the session
4. I like games where defence is a static number. keeps its simpler, will utterly abandon all versions for d&d when i need to make a doge or parry roll. PLUS then you would need to add flourish to your 'defence roll'
5. Why you have the combat, and with whom, and where is much more important that the minutae of every swing and thrust
6. If combat is becoming dull, its likely your having too many
7. Save the creative juices and quick thionking and description for talking to npcs, maybe doing skills, puzzle solving, plot development and such
8. just as a person insisting on spending 15 minutes with the GM buying a pair of 4sp shoes is dull, so is someone overacting/elaborating a combat manuever, unless maybe is Sav World or something where that is encouraged
9 & 10. Em, possibly later....and with that the Novalord boldy stood up from his desk, and with a dazzling display of adroitness, went and made a cup of tea!!

caudor

Adventurer
I'll admit that in my attempts to 'flourish' combat, I do occasionally spew out something that sounds like, for a lack of a better word, cheesy.

Nevertheless, my players seem to enjoy even that since it unintentionally inserts a bit of comedy. At best my players get a good chuckle; at worst, it reminds everyone they are simply playing a game.

So when I err, I tend to do so in favor of 'flourish'. :) And we still have a great time. I suppose it is just a preference instead of a right or wrong thing.

Last edited:

LostSoul

Adventurer
Question 1: Being a DM I notice that it gets kinda boring going "You hit" or "You miss" or "HAHA! THE MONSTER CRIT! DIE YOU 21AC CAT THING!". I've also noticed that my players are kinda sick of it too. How can I change that?

You have to make the description feed back into the mechanical resolution.

Turn "You hit" into "You slash against his sword arm, stunning it. His sword hangs loosely in his hand now."

That sets up someone to say, "I want to knock his sword out of his hand" and have a chance to succeed - because now his sword is hanging loosely in the paralyzed hand, where as before it wasn't.

When you first start you'll have to point this out: "If you want to disarm him or take an advantage of that somehow, you can." Hopefully players will start to get creative and declare what they want to have happen when they make their attack. Instead of relying on you to describe it all, they'll say, "I chop down on his sword arm hoping to stun it so that his sword hangs loosely in his hand, setting up someone else to disarm him."

~EE~

First Post
I've read these and today I had my session. I stopped doing the "He says this" and "She does that" thing. I've also asked to be more detailed when fighting. It's actually gotten better. Thank you all for your suggestions. Now, will this be cleaned after it goes inactive for X amount of time? I would like to store this somehow for future reference.

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
Y'know, I've asked every group I've played with to start doing this. Not one has ever taken it to heart.

*sigh*

I ran a one-shot a little while ago. I house-ruled that a character could get a +1 bonus to attack rolls, damage rolls, or AC until the beginning of his next turn if the player described his character's action. About two-thirds of the players went for it.

Remove ads