• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Plug my hole! (my players stay out!)

2) Make frequent travel unappealing. Maybe making the transition is a rather unpleasant affair; it's painful, exhausting, or is instantaneous in "real-time" but is experienced by the traveler as a sensation of falling for an hour or more (hard to take advantage of that sort of time "advantage" )

This could work too... I think I'd do something like going to the plane takes 24 hours, which passes instantly in the eyes of the traveller but a day still passes none the less. Not much of a downside for someone entering the plane once or twice, but could really be an issue if you're trying to do something that's even slightly time-sensitive.

I was thinking of this partly (or even primarily) as a roleplay-oriented tactic, and of course its success on that account depends on your group. The "unpleasantness factor" wouldn't bear much on the players, but the characters wouldn't want to arrive on a new plane every few hours feeling like they'd just been worked over with a 9 iron (to use the "travel is painful" example). Also, don't forget about the various other ways to make it unpleasant for the characters, assuming this sort of thing will work with your players. If not, it's probably not a good option (on that note, see below re: carborundum's suggestion)

3) Make travel risky. It probably wouldn't have to be a terribly huge risk, but the possibility that you'll go mad, lose a limb, or get spit out in a random part of the multiverse the next time you step through that portal will make you think twice about doing it willy-nilly. This one might be particularly attractive in your case if the risk is tied to how many times you've made the transition, or how frequently. If your players only go when they need to, they don't have to worry, and their Ranger friend will be just fine going 2 or 3 times (probably...) but the more they go, the worse an idea it is...

Another good idea. Not so sure that a flat chance is the right direction ("Hey, new buddy! Just step through here and you'll probably arrive safely! What? Oh, don't worry, there's only like a 1 in 20 chance of you getting sent to the Nine Hells."), but making it more risky based on how often they go in does sounds good. Maybe something like a cumulative 1% chance of defect every time they enter.

I was actually thinking MUCH lower if it's a flat chance, so that Bob the Fighter can be told "there's a risk to it, but it's very low. Well worth it for our cause, don't you think?" The risk could be further diminished if it applies per portal rather than per traveller; if poor Bob finds himself in the 475th Abyss, he can at least be reassured the PCs and the other travellers will be there too, and they'll all get back together.

I'd also suggest much lower if it's a cumulative chance, say 1 in 1000 to start, but make the growth exponential. The 2nd trip the PCs make to the Caretaker's realm their chances are 2/1000, then 4, 8, 16, 32... This makes travelling to the plane more than absolutely necessary VERY unappealing after only a handful of trips, but for the henchman only making 3 or 4 translations, the chance is pretty miniscule.

Another option with this method is to set a threshold. No risk at all until you've gone back and forth 3 times; then you're taking your life in your hands. No risk at all for the new hire, but the PCs have a real good reason to limit themselves.

4) If you don't like these options, my suggestion for explaining why "it just can't be done" when it comes to frequent travel is that it irritates the Caretaker. Travel might be unpleasant to It, or Its just particular about Its plane, or whatever. And since It calls the shots, the PCs have to play by the Caretaker's rules if they want to hold onto their tactical advantage.

Probably the simplest and easiest way, and they say the simplest answers are usually the best. The campaign's already got a lot of powerful NPCs dictating to the players what they should be doing, fate and all that, so I'm not sure if making the Caretaker so heavy handed is a good thing, for reinforcing the theme, or a bad thing, for overdoing the theme.

Certainly the simplest, but I put it last for just that reason; heavy-handed NPCs are sometimes a necessary evil, sometimes appropriate and fitting, sometimes both. In this case, where you don't really have a specific reason to use that mechanic, my advice would be to avoid it. Better to not properly re-enforce the theme than to overdo it. The players might enjoy the change of pace anyway. :)

give it so many charges/week or /month or whatever instead of just a flat number.

Meant to mention that, another trick is that if you go with just straight charges, make the number unknown (and undiscoverable). You can give the players a vague idea so they know that they don't have to wait until they've gathered 200 men to march through at once, but the doubt is likely to give them pause about frivolous trips. Another bonus here is once it's all over, they can use up the rest of the charges for whatever they want. The item could become as you mentioned a quick escape route, or maybe the favorite R&R spot? ;)

Make it so that you arrive exhausted (as your internal sense of time passing gets hammered) and need 8 hours rest to get used to the time differential. Bingo - no point in resting there any more, unless you have at least 16 hours to waste that is.

Heck, make it 12 hours rest, or 24!

This is a good one, its simple and elegant in that it directly addresses your stated concern, and little if anything else. This would work well coupled with the "unpleasant by exhaustion" idea. You can really impress upon the PCs that not only do they feel wiped out, but whatever time they've gained is lost to them (and then some, if you go 12 or 24!)

A variant on this concept would be directly affecting the benefits of rest. Don't allow the PCs to heal on the demiplane (healing such powerful beings is overly taxing on the Caretaker's resources), memorize spells (the mind-bending jaunt through a tear in the fabric of reality does a real number on casters), etc. Mix and match as you see fit if you want to allow them SOME of the benefits.

A variant on THAT is that the trip itself negates the benefits (you take damage, suffer spell drain, etc.) You can rest up if you want, but you'll just be injured and drained when you get back anyway, so what's the point? ;)

The only downside to these is they don't really address the item's use as a "handy escape plan", if that's a concern, but that's remedied easily enough: Make the casting time too long for this to be viable, or require a relatively calm environment for casting. You could require a Concentration check with a hefty penalty; if the PCs get in it awfully deep they can still try, the drama palpable as the wizard tries and fails round after round while the others try to hold the line.

Stipulating that the journey inflicts damage could also put a kibosh on any designs to escape at will, if the damage inflicted is high enough. If they're in deep enough to want to turn tail, chances are good someone won't survive the trip.

Asmor

First Post
Hmm...

I think that might be the perfect solution.

Going there requires a simple ritual which takes a few minutes. At the very least, you could have a tense seen where the meat shields hold off the impending doom while the poor rogue (despite the fact that there's 7 players, there's not a single arcane caster... used to be an artificer, but he retired that character and is a swordsage now!) desperately etches out the runes...

And when you come back, you're exhausted and drained of all their spells until they can rest for 8 hours. Maybe make it work both ways just for logical reasons. That way there's no reason to go there solely to rest up.

And this still lets them ask people to come out and help them when they need it... The bronze dragon can do a translation, but it's too pooped to help them fight.

It's simple

Asmo

First Post
Asmor said:
The plane has an entity called The Caretaker, a ball of energy which serves as an advisor and which provides for the needs of its inhabitants.

(heavily off topic)
Didn´t the pilot of Star Trek:Voyager deal with a Caretaker that was pretty much described as above?

Asmo

interwyrm

First Post
Instead of the hill thing... just make it so they can only enter at a certain time of day. This works especially well if the artifact is somehow sun or moon oriented. If the portal can only open at dawn, then it can't be used to escape and rest between combats. Also, if time passes say, 7 times as quickly in the new realm, the pcs have to wait around for a week before they can return.

Veril

Explorer
The Item to travel to the plane is powered by your life force. It's much harder to go to the demiplane than to return from it.

Every time you travel to the the demiplane you take a Harm (DC30)
Every time you travel back from the demiplane you take a Harm (DC10)

(Harm, 6th level cleric spell would normally have a DC of about 20, this just adds 50% when going one way and removes 50% when going the other - on average it's the same)

1) This lets you pull out individuals when you want them (OK, they are at 1/2 hp) - you will need to use some resources to get them fully operational.
2) Players won't use it as the general rest overnight spot - the healing requirements are too much.
3) You cannot suddenly have an army appearing at full strength.

Only someone using the item can pull a person out by "Naming" them "I choose you!"

Nyeshet

First Post
Perhaps the item allows someone to go there, but any time they leave they re-enter the Prime at a specific point. Another item allows them to speak with someone there, thus granting the advise, translations, status reports, etc.

On the other hand, this could become a 'get out of potential TPK situation fast' object if it only exits at one location. Or perhaps it takes 10 rounds to activate, in which case it won't be much good to escape danger unless they have a minute or two to prepare in relative safety.

Asmor

First Post
Asmor said:
It's simple

Uhh... I kinda got cut off while writing that post, hence, the semi-nonsensical sentence fragment at the end (and yes I know it's not technically a sentence fragment but it is a fragment of a larger sentence which I intended to write. :)

interwyrm said:
Instead of the hill thing... just make it so they can only enter at a certain time of day. This works especially well if the artifact is somehow sun or moon oriented. If the portal can only open at dawn, then it can't be used to escape and rest between combats. Also, if time passes say, 7 times as quickly in the new realm, the pcs have to wait around for a week before they can return.

Ooh, now that's very elegant!

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
My idea is basically the charges idea, but slightly different: The item that allows access to and from the demiplane contains a portion of The Caretaker's life energy. This life energy, trapped within an item from the Material Plane is what allows access between the demiplane and the Material plane. Whenever the PC who has the item is present on the demiplane, some of that energy is lost from the item and restored to The Caretaker. Eventually when all the energy is restored to The Caretaker, the connection to the Material Plane will be lost. The more time the PC with the item spends in the demiplane, the less time they will have to take advantage of it. The Caretaker understands this and can inform the PCs of how much energy is left and how much time they have.

Greywarden

Explorer
Travelling to and from the demi-plane too often could draw the attention of the very being they are training the army to fight... your army is no good if it gets bombed to oblivion during training.

Remove ads