• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Plusses or Effects?

Which is more effective?

• Plusses

Votes: 9 40.9%
  • Effects

Votes: 13 59.1%

• Poll closed .

MatthewJHanson

Registered Ninja
Publisher
I'm curious what you want to use the data for. I voted for pluses because that answered the question you were asking, but I really want the +x magic item to go away.

the Jester

Legend
It really depends on the campaign and the adventure.

Some games, a sword that lets you leap 30' is super important; you can't overcome the challenges without having a way to climb/jump/fly up the greased 30' high tube. Other games, a +2 to attack is essential- without it, you can't hit the monster unless you roll a 17+.

Personally, I think they're about even overall for my style of gaming. Then again, that's assuming that the "effect" and the "plus" are roughly equal- the balance is different if you're comparing a sword that gives you +2 to intimidate once per day against a +5 attack and damage and double damage on a crit sword. Likewise, +1 to damage (only) pales in comparison to a sword that lets you summon an iron golem 1/hour.

S'mon

Legend
I don't know about 'effective', but personally I will always take stackable always-on bonuses to my primary attack or defense (usually AC) over effects. I derive a lot of satisfaction from characters who hit on a '2' or who can tank and rarely get hit.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads