• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[PoA] A possible cause of lag?

valn

First Post
We've all experienced a lot of lag lately.

Last night, during some of the most intense periods of lag, every time I checked there was at least one person in the goblin camp... One of the most CPU-consuming task is AI and that camp sure has a lot of AI running at once. I'm wondering if the warg riders (while admittedly cool) might be one of the major cause of lag?

That camp is also a nexus for many of the areas and as such, people do need to get through it all the time.

I'm not saying this is the only cause, but I think it might be worth checking (with and without the warg riders, for example). Other potential areas: the catacombs (spawns a lot of monsters at one time), one of the end of Anduin ruins, etc.

Angcuru

First Post
Yeah, it was BAD. Reallybad. It was "stare at a lag convention to see more connectivity" bad. Which is bad. And not good.

valn

First Post
To reduce lag...

I've been to a couple of other PW websites and they have some recommendations to help reduce lag. I'm posting them here, to see if it can help us too:

1. Don't play through Gamespy. Use the Direct Connect button, then type the EN World Server's address: nwn1.dungeonserver.com:5123

2. Limit the number of containers in inventory (like magic bags). I've seen the suggested limit set at 5. In our case, we could lower that, I don't know. I have 3 myself, but don't need them as much since I got that Strength boosting item.

3. Limit party size to 6, 8 with spellcasters' summon, familiar and animal companion. Hmm but I've rarely seen parties that big on our server, so I don't think that's too much of a factor.

4. Objects left on the ground. In PoA, I think there's already a script that cleans the ground regularly. Just don't know how long it takes for an object to get removed. Some PW use "trash barrel" for people to throw unwanted objects in (but that's only useful in town).

Well that's pretty much it. #1 is easy enough for everyone to try. Let's see if that can make a difference... :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads