Spelljammer Pocket Spelljammer

It does gain the weight of a normal vessel its size when unfolded, but I don't know what the normal weight of "a ship 24 feet long, 8 feet wide, and 6 feet deep with a deck, rowing seats, five sets of oars, a steering oar, an anchor, a deck cabin, and a mast with a square sail" is, beyond quite a lot. It doesn't match the dimensions of any vessel that's been statted in 5e, not that most of those vessels have listed weights in any case.
Right, but you are not carrying it around unfolded. I think that is the weight concern that I was responding too (monster envy)

MarkB

Legend
Right, but you are not carrying it around unfolded. I think that is the weight concern that I was responding too
Ah. I think the concern in that quote was more that the boat, even unfolded, might not be considered to be of sufficient tonnage to be eligible for a spelljamming helm.

darjr

I crit!
I need to pocket this idea for later! Very cool.

6B1BEB00-E268-45C3-B637-0C45B908D00B.gif

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
It does gain the weight of a normal vessel its size when unfolded, but I don't know what the normal weight of "a ship 24 feet long, 8 feet wide, and 6 feet deep with a deck, rowing seats, five sets of oars, a steering oar, an anchor, a deck cabin, and a mast with a square sail" is, beyond quite a lot. It doesn't match the dimensions of any vessel that's been statted in 5e, not that most of those vessels have listed weights in any case.

Quick google work suggests over 2000 lbs for something 24' long. That' modern materials, mind, but close enough for government work, I suspect.

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
I'd like to keep my spelljammer in a magical glass spirits bottle.
To release the ship, just smash the bottle. Out pops the spelljammer (with chaos and/or fanfare, as appropriate to the situation), and the unbroken bottle reappears in captain's quarters.
To put the ship back in the bottle, just smash it on the ship's prow as if christening it. The boat obligingly shrinks and the glass reassembles itself as an unblemished bottle around the miniature.

Not as convenient or secure as a pocket spelljammer, but I think it would look nice on the mantle.

Remove ads