[Podcast] Worlds Beyond Number

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Screenshot 2023-02-12 at 17-18-36 Worlds Beyond Number.png

Anyone listening to this?

It's an all-star cast, but the first prelude episode -- The Witch: Then and Now -- is Brennan in Exandria Unlimited: Calamity mode, rather than Dimension 20 mode. When Lou asked, incredulously, well into the episode "this is where we're starting?!" I had to ruefully laugh. Everyone on this show is extremely funny, and I'm hoping they get a chance to show that off soon.

I'm not clear whether Suvi's ring or her glass staff is her wizarding focus -- either way, it's very cool.

Looking forward to more of this.

Last edited:

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
The second episode is much lighter than the first. Erika Ishii is in her element as Ame, a chaotic witch, and only seven years old in this preview. Getting strong Studio Ghibli vibes from her portion of this prologue.

I saw on Reddit that she's playing a custom witch class that they may or may not release in the future.

I'm hoping someone gets a wiki set up soon, as the world building is happening fast and furious.

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
One of the many reasons Brennan is my hero. The highs are very high, the lows are very low.
I'm going to keep listening because they're so good. I just can't help to think that makes us nonprofessionals look less good. As DMs we can't all be Brennan or Matt Mercer. I would like to DM again, hopefully soon. I'm a bit jealous and intimidated by them now.😅

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I get Critters mad at me every time I say this, but I think Brennan is a better all-around DM. Mercer is obviously impossible to beat with funny voices and NPC characterization, but generally speaking, I never get my mind blown as a decades-long DM by his ideas or worldbuilding.

I am routinely knocked back on my heels by Brennan's ideas, which range from "I should have thought of that" to "I would never have thought of that." As shown by his Adventuring Academy show (only some of which are on YouTube or available as podcasts, unfortunately), he thinks really deeply about RPGs as a storytelling device, a social interaction, a therapeutic vehicle and more.

Even if he only did Adventuring Academy, and never did Dimension 20 or Worlds Beyond Number, Brennan would be a top tier D&D YouTuber.

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
I guess next week will be the guy. Will he cry too? Even in a lighthearted one, she cried at the end. lol The two playing Suvi and Amii are very good. Funny as hell. I haven't gotten into many actual play podcasts but I thought I'd give this one a try. It seems like it's going to be very entertaining.

Remove ads