Pogre's Story Hour - with Pics of Minis & Scenery (Final Update)

pogre

Legend
Grim Tales

I still really like the basic mechanic behind the Grim Tales rules. However, a number of the players still want to play spell casters. We compromised with a lesser version of the drain rules. I probably was unfair in how I tacked it on mid campaign instead of forcing a complete character change - live and learn.

I still think it will keep the casters from dominating the game and still allow people to play casters.

I like my game to be a little lower magic than average D&D. There's nothing wrong with scrying then teleporting everyone in and being invisible, flying, and hasted for every combat - it's just not my cup of tea on a regular basis. I think the ideas in Grim Tales will help us tailor the magic down to a level I'm happy with...

I like my fantasy to feel like Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay if you have played that game. There's a lot I don't like about that game, but the atmosphere certainly works for me.

I think observers of the next campaign will be hard pressed to tell its not a standard D&D campaign.

Broccli_Head -
I will put the campaign on the boards. That's why I'm painting like mad :) Thanks for the encouragement!

Stay tuned...

LuYangShih

First Post
The relative challenge Giants present, like several creatures, are dependent on the type of party they are facing. If you have a group that primarily relies on melee combat, they are much deadlier than normal. And if you have a group with, say, an Enchanter and an Archer or two, they are much weaker than normal.

pogre

Legend
LuYangShih said:
The relative challenge Giants present, like several creatures, are dependent on the type of party they are facing. If you have a group that primarily relies on melee combat, they are much deadlier than normal. And if you have a group with, say, an Enchanter and an Archer or two, they are much weaker than normal.

I agree with the Enchanter in most D&D campaigns - but I'll take the Giant in a fight with an archer most of the time 2d6+7 always hurts!

LuYangShih

First Post
True. The rock throwing is painful. I suppose you would need an Archer that was adept at stealth to really give a Giant a run for its money. The Dire Wolves you mentioned would make that scenario slightly more difficult, of course, but still winnable as long as the DM does not rule that abilities like Scent automatically detect anyone within range.

Regardless of all that, great campaign and Story Hour, it was a very enjoyable read. I look forward to the next one, and we will see just how long the party manages to last. :D

Skully

First Post
Dirt Nap

OK OK so we didn't follow the massive damage rules to the "T," but I think Quint did make a cowardly retreat (droping everything of value along the way). TPK would imply that Quint was toast. I would hate to think that the worst use of the best stats I have ever rolled is for not.

pogre

Legend
Ok, Quint did survive by running like a Nancyboy. However, I think I post for the majority of DMs when I say if you kill everyone, but the Bard it still counts as a TPK. Afterall, it's not like a cleric or fighter got away...
:D

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
pogre said:
I think I post for the majority of DMs when I say if you kill everyone, but the Bard it still counts as a TPK.

Man, that's awesome! Almost, but not quite, as satisfying as killing ONLY the Bard.

So presumably Quint will go on to write an epic or two about his brave survival...

Wulf

Remove ads