• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Point Buy For 19+ Stats

Scion

First Post
Jdvn1 said:
Oh, oh. It'd probably increase, but...

6 points for a 14
10 points for a 16
16 spoints for an 18
right? well...
20 points for a 19
24 points for a 20
29 points for a 21
34 points for a 22
40 points for a 23
46 points for a 24

Up to 14, it's 1 point per increase.
For 15 and 16, it's 2 points per increase.
For 17 and 18, it's 3 points per increase.
right? well...
For 19 and 20, it's 4 points per increase.
For 21 and 22, it's 5 points per increase.
For 23 and 24, it's 6 points per increase.
etc.

yep, that is what I use in my games. My players seem to enjoy it so far ;)

Lamoni

First Post
Infiniti2000 said:
Btw, I would suggest you not allow base scores (unmodified by racial bonuses) above 18 for the initial build of the characters. I.e. the wizard doesn't start with 28 points in Int with 8's in all 5 other stats.
I agree, but even if you started with a 34 point buy, you could only move a stat up to 22 max. Since he is eliminating any magic spells and items that boost your stats, you wouldn't be able to get a +4 item. Instead it would take you to level 7 before you could boost it to 24. Of course a 20th level wizard could then have an intelligence as high as 36.

But then you need to look at how high a wizard can get his int within the rules. 18 +2 racial, +5 level advance, +6 magic item, +5 inherent.

Last edited:

Bastoche

First Post
Thanee said:
I'm using something similar as a replacement of the free ability point every 4th level, and so far I have used the 19-20: 4pts, 21-22: 5pts, 23-24: 6pts, etc progression, but I think it could also be fine, if you just use a fixed amount for everything above 18; I would recommend 4pts for 19+ then. It mostly depends on how many points one has to spend.

If you give them their new level in points per level, that's quite a bit, so I would probably use the cumulatively increasing costs rather than the fixed costs.

It's surely best if you just make up a few ability spreads and look how you would improve them at each level up all the way to 20th level and then look at the results to see, if it looks too high or too low. If it's too high, I would then reduce the number of points gained each level (i.e. 1/2 new level in points every level). If it's too low, then going for the fixed progression might be ok.

Bye
Thanee

Well, actually, if you assume each points at every 4 levels are put in your highest stat (16 at level 1, 17 at 4, 18 at 8 and so on) and you assume each 20th level character has one +5 tome, 1 +4 item and 1 +2 item, giving them "level" number of points each level is roughly equivalent. However, you must reduce the gp/level accordingly. And assuming the raising by 1 cost your current bonus in points.

Thanee

First Post
Bastoche said:
Well, actually, if you assume each points at every 4 levels are put in your highest stat (16 at level 1, 17 at 4, 18 at 8 and so on) and you assume each 20th level character has one +5 tome, 1 +4 item and 1 +2 item, giving them "level" number of points each level is roughly equivalent. However, you must reduce the gp/level accordingly. And assuming the raising by 1 cost your current bonus in points.

I figure the costs from the base stat, not the enhanced stat. I think that's the easiest and best way to handle it.

Bye
Thanee

Bastoche

First Post
Thanee said:
I figure the costs from the base stat, not the enhanced stat. I think that's the easiest and best way to handle it.

Bye
Thanee

Agreed, that way, characters won't be able to pump their lowest score more. Depends on what you're aiming for...

Remove ads