• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Point buy - How high do you go? (and why)

Felix

Explorer
My DM gave us players an option: make a 28 point buy character with no catches or you could:

Get +1 for a 500 word background
-or-
Get +2 for a 1500 word background
as well as
Get +1 by introducing 3 NPC's that he can use for plot development.
and lastly
Get +1 by tieing another PC into your character's background.

So, if you do a little work to help out the DM, assist in party cohesiveness, and flesh out the character to aid in roleplaying, you are rewarded with a more powerful character.

I'm playing a 32 point buy Cleric in that campaign.

Of course, in another campaign, I'm playing a 25 pb ranger, and boy, is that a chore to survive encounters. Fun, though. I could go either way.

Last edited:

d10

First Post
I started out years ago with my DM telling me to roll 4d6 reroll 1's and 2's keep the three highest. That word for 2e just fine. After 3e I started DM'n and found that my previous DM's method produced over powered characters. So I have adopted the 28 point buy. I produces well rounded characters most of the time and forces more team play because everyone has different tricks up they're sleeves.

Skaros

First Post
d10 said:
I started out years ago with my DM telling me to roll 4d6 reroll 1's and 2's keep the three highest. That word for 2e just fine. After 3e I started DM'n and found that my previous DM's method produced over powered characters. So I have adopted the 28 point buy. I produces well rounded characters most of the time and forces more team play because everyone has different tricks up they're sleeves.

We use 32, but similar to your experience, I notice in my group that lower stats tends to really highlight the importance of class abilities.

In other words, with extremely high stats, the difference between fighter to hit bonuses and rogue to hit bonuses doesn't seem that different (high strength has more effect at lower levels in particular).

With lower stats, the rogue tends to have less strength to add to his blows, so you really see the fighter shine because of his large weapons and high strength, and rogues really rely more on sneak attacks.

etc. someone could come up with better examples than that, I am sure :)

Skaros

Castaigne

First Post
I use 25, 28, or 32 with XP bonuses to balance lower-point PCs. 25-point characters get a 20% bonus, 28-pointers a 10% bonus, and 32-point PCs no bonus.

This allows for stat-intensive characters and satisfies the players who like powerful PCs without "forcing" everyone else to follow suit. As an unintended side effect it's also promoted PC magic item creation (which I like).

I've played in games with up to 45 points, but anything above 32 seems to me to require recalculating ELs and CRs to balance against more powerful PCs.

Glyfair

Explorer
Skaros said:
We use 32, but similar to your experience, I notice in my group that lower stats tends to really highlight the importance of class abilities.

In other words, with extremely high stats, the difference between fighter to hit bonuses and rogue to hit bonuses doesn't seem that different (high strength has more effect at lower levels in particular).

This is a very interesting point. While it hadn't occured to me before, it makes perfect sense.

Of course, it also makes monster stats beyond the norm standout. When every fighter has an 18 Strength, the high armor class monsters get hit a lot and monsters with a lot of hit points take a lot of damage. In a lower point total game, that'll be uncommon (and those fighters will have their own weaknesses - like not having a high AC or being able to take a lot of damage).

I also think that the campaign theme plays a large part (which is one of the things I was looking for in this thread). For example, in my RttToEE game, I allowed everyone 32 points, because I felt they would need it (especially since I not only didn't have many min-maxers, I had anti-min-maxers).

Glyfair of Glamis

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads