• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Point Buy or Standard Array

pming

Legend
Hiya!

I once came up with something I called the "Wheel of Pain" character creation method. ;)

Basically, I drew out a "circle" with lines going form one side to the other, top to bottom, left to right, then five other lines, equally spaced; picture a clock without the numbers, basically (12 opposite 6, 1 opposite 7, 2 opposite 8, etc.). The vertical line had 10 on top and 10 on bottom. Then I had each player, in turn around the table, roll 4d6, keep high three; if the roll was 10+, it went on the top most left 'line start' (in the "11" spot); under 10 it went on the top most right 'line start' (in the "1" spot). Rinse and repeat until we had 5 scores all 10+ on the left, and 5 scores all 9- on the right. Those were the score "pairs"...line wise...the players could choose from. If you wanted that one 18 that was rolled, but it had a 5 on the other end of the line, you had a conundrum on your hands.

The result? One player went for the min/max choices (high scores, regardless of how low the other end of the line was). Most players opted for more "pretty good in one or two stats, as long as the opposite wasn't too low". Basically, most opted for a more balanced "nothing too high, nothing too low" character (characters ended up with stats like 13, 11, 11, 10, 10, 7, or maybe 18, 12, 10, 9, 7, 6). No character was "uber", but no character was "el whimpo" either.

Usually, however, for my D&D flavour games it's either 3d6 or 4d6 keep 3 (basic D&D/BECMI/Dark Dungeons/etc is usually 3d6, in order, 56 total points minimum; my PF and now 5e is 4d6 keep 3, with 65 points minimum). Nobody at my table really likes array or point-buy for any of our D&D-flavour games. Having all grown up with 2e or earlier, I guess it just feels "wrong" to all of us. *shrug*

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Mercule

Adventurer
I don't believe I've ever been in a game with a player who took more than one stat below 10. Generation gap?
I did play a berserker once that dumped both intelligence and wisdom, but that was a roleplaying extravaganza. Otherwise, I agree with your experience.

My groups have also tended to avoid using charisma as a dump stat. I've always assumed it was because Hollywood.

Minsc

Explorer
Interesting.

I'm taking my daughter to the movies, and then dinner after.

I'll probably be done in 4-5 hours from now. When I settle in, I'll take a shot at what I think are the best "powergamer" setups for each class/theme.

Sorry for taking so long.

Barbarian: mountain dwarf
17/14/17/8/10/8 alt. 16/14/16/9/13/8 (if you plan on Resilient feat later)

Bard: half elf
8/14/14/12/12/17

Cleric: hill dwarf
(Tempest)14/8/16/12/16/8

Cleric: half elf or human
(Knowledge) 10/12/14/14/16/10 (8)

Druid (moon): hill dwarf
10/12/14/12/16/12

Fighter (melee) mountain dwarf - see barbarian
Fighter (archer) human
8/16/16/10/13/10 or 10/16/14/10/13/12 - take Resilient (wis) later.

Monk: wood elf or aarokocra
8/17/15/8/16/8

Paladin: human
16/10/14/8/8/16
Alt. dragonborn
16/10/14/8/10/16
Alt. half elf
16/10/16/8/10/16

Ranger: who cares (this is a powergaming discussion, right?)

Rogue: human (assassin or thief)
8/16/14/12/13/12
Rogue: forest gnome (arcane trickster)
8/16/14/16/8/12

Sorcerer: human
8/14/14/10/12/16

Warlock: human (see sorcerer)

Wizard: human
8/14/14/16/12/10

Just my opinion, y'all. Please note: all "human" choices are of the variant sort.

Minsc

Explorer
I think we had a bard with a 9 strength and wisdom in 2nd edition, but that's about it.

If you guys rolled for stats (as was standard in any edition before 3.0), and the lowest you ever saw in a rolling system was 9, then I don't think your players were rolling fair. IJS

In general any character with a bunch of low stats didn't stick around long due to players fussing and putting them out to pasture. There were tons of rolling methods, the one that saw a lot of play in a couple of my groups was making a 6x6 grid with 4d6 drop lowest and picking any column or row. Or x number of points (an official rule in skills and powers I think). Eventually I just said "pick your stats". The 9 str and wisdom bard in this particular instance was a player choosing to play a weak and weak willed fop.

Minsc

Explorer
In general any character with a bunch of low stats didn't stick around long due to players fussing and putting them out to pasture. There were tons of rolling methods, the one that saw a lot of play in a couple of my groups was making a 6x6 grid with 4d6 drop lowest and picking any column or row. Or x number of points (an official rule in skills and powers I think). Eventually I just said "pick your stats". The 9 str and wisdom bard in this particular instance was a player choosing to play a weak and weak willed fop.

Two 9's are low stats?

I guess that just tells you what the different communities were like. I remember many games where you were happy to get your Prime Requisite to 13 for 5% bonus XP. :p

Two 9's are low stats?

I guess that just tells you what the different communities were like. I remember many games where you were happy to get your Prime Requisite to 13 for 5% bonus XP. :p

Look, I'm all for the old fart "we had it so rough we had to carve our dice out of our own bones" stories, but lets not pretend like 13+ is in any way not common on 4d6 drop lowest.

Look, I'm all for the old fart "we had it so rough we had to carve our dice out of our own bones" stories, but lets not pretend like 13+ is in any way not common on 4d6 drop lowest.

Yeah, but even as late as 2e the "3d6 in order" and "3d6 arrange to taste" methods were still in the PHB, with "3d6 in order" being presented as the default. 4d6 drop lowest is listed as Method 5. I only ever played under one DM that ran 3d6 in order. Everybody was average.

Of course, 1e and 2e had the infamous dead zones for attributes between 7 or 8 and 14 or 15.

Back on topic, I have no problem with point buy, but I prefer standard array for my own characters. I find the 15, 15, 15, 8, 8, 8 array to be, well, boring. If I were playing a big dumb Barbarian I'd go for it, but generally speaking I like my characters more well rounded.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads