• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Points of Light] A Few Name Changes

C4

Explorer
I'm considering changing two naming conventions, and definitely adding one of my own, to my Points of Light clone.

The definite addition is a new power type I'm using to define builds. Essentially these are channel divinity powers, expanded to all power sources. Except none of them are dinky little '+1 to an attack or save once per encounter' effects. For martial classes, they're called combat styles; for elemental classes, they're called elemental dweomers, and so on.

Anyhow, I need an umbrella term for this new power type so that I can say 'You can only use one of these powers per encounter, no matter how many you might have via feats and multiclassing.' All I've come up with so far is...'source powers.' Any ideas?

C4

Explorer
Possible name change #1 is a remedy to the dissonance that martial encounter/daily powers cause for some players. Edition war BS aside, I think the title 'martial' does tend to limit the imagination because it implies 'I'm just really good with my sword.' Some players have no problem with the 'encounter/daily powers are like triggered crits' explanation, narrative explanations, or just not thinking about it. But some players really benefit from having a simple, defined explanation for encounter/daily powers -- which is that martial characters aren't just great swordsmen. In other words, encounter/daily powers are martial magic.

So I'm leaning towards a more fantastic name for the martial power source. The problem is that western culture doesn't have a single word for martial magic. We've got Merlin casting arcane spells, and Arthur MBAing with Excalibur. So my proposed solution is calling it the ki power source, along with fluff text that suggests nothing more than 'encounter and daily powers are martial magic.' Individual gaming groups are of course free to have Li Mu Bai and Yu Shu Lien running around, but the eastern theme isn't necessary. Thoughts or suggestions?

C4

Explorer
Possible name change #2 is a remedy to the dissonance that some players have regarding encounter powers -- namely that an encounter is an undefined narrative amount of time, despite the defined 5 minute short rest period to recover encounter powers. And how it's weird to have these narratively-named powers right next to daily powers, the very name of which implies a definable amount of time.

So I'm thinking of renaming encounter powers something more appropriate, but I'm hard-pressed to come up with something better. Minute powers? Minutely powers? Timely powers?

PS: Narrative power recovery will be an explicit house rule. Under it, players will have encounter and adventure powers. Or possibly scene and chapter powers.

Tequila Sunrise

Adventurer
So I'm thinking of renaming encounter powers something more appropriate, but I'm hard-pressed to come up with something better. Minute powers? Minutely powers? Timely powers?
'Timely' has a nice ring to it, even if 'minutely' fits better by definition...although that may just be because I've never heard anyone use 'minutely' to describe something that happens on a minute-by-minute schedule.

Larrin

Entropic Good
perhaps "paradigm" or similar word, because choosing which of them to use sets/shows/reflects your 'paradigm' for that fight ('theme' is already used up)...

"exclusive" or "unitary" or "privilege" could be for driving home you only get one (at a time).

C4

Explorer
'Timely' has a nice ring to it, even if 'minutely' fits better by definition...although that may just be because I've never heard anyone use 'minutely' to describe something that happens on a minute-by-minute schedule.
I think it's because timely has one less syllable. ;)

Pour

First Post
I know this might really get confusing without a second name change, but if you renamed them Opportunity Powers, I think it lends itself to the idea that they're once an encounter because the chance for using them is limited in the narrative of the combat. Of course, recently playing DCCRPG, and having bent the rules a LOT in my 4e game, I'm not sure a recharge mechanic added to encounter powers wouldn't make everyone feel warm and fuzzy inside. Of course, that changes the game even more.

C4

Explorer
Of course, recently playing DCCRPG, and having bent the rules a LOT in my 4e game, I'm not sure a recharge mechanic added to encounter powers wouldn't make everyone feel warm and fuzzy inside. Of course, that changes the game even more.
I don't think I'll be changing the power recovery rules, but I will be including a few 'official' house rules.

What are your recharge rules?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads