• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Points of Light and the Forgotten Realms

phadeout

First Post
Ruin Explorer said:
...so they can take her stuff? Hey, it had to be said! I'd love that, though. You could reverse my hatred of a lot of these NPCs if they "went down fighting" and left cool heirlooms in the form of personalised magic items and so on, that could be used to once again fight evil.

As for Waterdeep, I'd like to see it replaced by a new city, one which is still in the process of being built. I wouldn't weep if the options you presented were how it was, though. Perhaps the "Beiruit" thing is a little "done" in the Realms, I seem to remember like two-three cities that happened to in 2E...

Waterdeep could become Overmountain, after Undermountain comes from underneath and takes over the city... bwahhahah.

Now you need to fight through the ruined City, AND Undermountain...

an_idol_mind

Explorer
phadeout said:
How to retire Elminister but keep him around? Make a Hogwarts school and turn Elminister into Dumbledore... lol.

I don't think people will have near the amount of hatred for Elminster if he's the only one of the Chosen left. Although it would probably also help if he stopped man-whoring himself about the Realms...

William Ronald

Explorer
phadeout said:
Maybe they'll just wipe out most of the high powered people, I can see that happening.

How to retire Elminister but keep him around? Make a Hogwarts school and turn Elminister into Dumbledore... lol.

Well, he could be defending a place like Corymyr, with or without the Obaskyr family in charge and be a very changed character. So, instead of peacefully smoking a pipe, Elminster is busy trying to keep one place intact as he saw a lot of horror in the last century.

Ruin Explorer, I was waiting for someone to use that line. It is just that if the events indicated transpire, WotC would have a chance to highlight heroes and villains, and maybe have a few adventure threads hinted at -- for PCs to follow up.

Also, here is an idea -- present a full adventuring party of maybe eight characters who are from adjoining areas and work together. Nothing too powerful, but enough that they might be an example for others and an inspiration. (Also, it can give an idea of how players might want to develop their characters.)

an_idol_mind said:
I don't think people will have near the amount of hatred for Elminster if he's the only one of the Chosen left. Although it would probably also help if he stopped man-whoring himself about the Realms...

I wouldn't mind the man-whoring if ol' Elminster was say, remotely attractive, but he's an ugly old guy with an ugly beard who hasn't had a haircut in years, wears a dress and a stupid hat, smokes heavily, and is generally unpleasant to think of.

Could someone has rich and powerful as him get laid? Sure. Is it creepy to write books about it? Oh boy definately. I don't want to read Ed Greenwood's "happy time" material...

Give Elminster a haircut, shave his beard, lose the hat, in fact, y'know let the Queer Eye guys (who MUST exist in a place as cosmopolitan as the Realms) give him the whole treatment, and he could be made into a likeable character who people who aren't scary beardoes could actually relate to.

Either that or rip his powers away and turn him into a Dumbledore-a-like, as suggested.

William Ronald

Explorer
an_idol_mind said:

Well, if it was one of his kids that was involved in a lot of the chaos, Elminster might consider committed relationships might make more sense than trying to be the father of his own country. (I thought the character's name is Elminster, not Rasputin.) :lol:

William Ronald

Explorer
:lol:
Ruin Explorer said:
I wouldn't mind the man-whoring if ol' Elminster was say, remotely attractive, but he's an ugly old guy with an ugly beard who hasn't had a haircut in years, wears a dress and a stupid hat, smokes heavily, and is generally unpleasant to think of.

Could someone has rich and powerful as him get laid? Sure. Is it creepy to write books about it? Oh boy definately. I don't want to read Ed Greenwood's "happy time" material...

Give Elminster a haircut, shave his beard, lose the hat, in fact, y'know let the Queer Eye guys (who MUST exist in a place as cosmopolitan as the Realms) give him the whole treatment, and he could be made into a likeable character who people who aren't scary beardoes could actually relate to.

Either that or rip his powers away and turn him into a Dumbledore-a-like, as suggested.

Heck, if they want to keep the beard , try Sean Connery -- the FRCS picture of Elminster seems inspired by that celebrity. Mind you, in some other pictures, you have to ask: did Elminster father any of the members of the band ZZ Top? ;)

Classic Elminster:

elminst.gif

ZZ Top
ZZ_Top_Color_3_low_res.jpg

3 E Elminster
44192_CA1_Elminster.jpg

Sean Connery as Allan Quartermain:

250px-Lxg13.jpg

William Ronald

Explorer
Eric Anondson said:
Tell me about if. The warning sirens were all over that. :confused:

If I recall the alphabet used by the elves in Faerun and the one used by the humans, is there no letter c. (In English, the letter c is mostly redundant as it individually sounds s or k, except when comboned with h for the sound in church.) The CCC is a bit much, and I would love to see it have a rather horrific end. (Maybe Drizzt, some dwarves, elves, and humans can march them to border of the Silver Marches and point them in the direction of Waterdeep -- City of Demons and the Undead. Okay, Ruin Explorer and Eric, is this better for you? ;) )

Green Knight

First Post
William Ronald said:
Well, if it was one of his kids that was involved in a lot of the chaos, Elminster might consider committed relationships might make more sense than trying to be the father of his own country. (I thought the character's name is Elminster, not Rasputin.) :lol:

How about a Half-Fiend Wizard who rides around on a Nightmare, and who calls himself Venger? ;)
2215245Venger2.jpg

William Ronald

Explorer
Green Knight said:
How about a Half-Fiend Wizard who rides around on a Nightmare, and who calls himself Venger? ;)
2215245Venger2.jpg

I think we would have to shrink Elminster, shave his head and beard -- nah too much trouble. Besides, EGG might claim infingement rights.

On a more serious note, there is a great Irish myth involving Cuchulainn who fights a great warrior and kills him -- only learning as the young man died that the warrior was his son. If Elminster had to go through something like that amid all the destruction round him, he might be a very different person in a future version of the Realms.

Remove ads