• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Poison and projectiles

Magistus71

Explorer
Ok, here is a some information. in the campaign I play in we ended up on another plane, and while on that plane I was given a pistol. Being a rogue and having the assassin archetype, not uncommon for me tp poison my weapons, including the arrows I normally shoot.

So here is the question I posed to my DM, is it possible to poison the shot I load into the pistol? How would you answer this?

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
If you're able to create ammunition--that is, if you aren't limited to what ammunition you found for it--then I'd say you should be able to prepare specially-made "poisoned bullets." They just wouldn't be poisoned in the same way as an arrow would. Usually, a poisoned arrow is dipped in some kind of sticky/oily substance that contains the poison--that way it stays on the tip, and sticks to the target. But a bullet, especially at close range, is likely to pass right through its target, unless it shatters on impact, like a hollow-point bullet. Thus, I imagine that poisoned ammunition would be expensive because it would need to be specially designed--to explode on impact, releasing the liquid contained in a hollow interior chamber.

Alternatively, if it's a weapon based on black powder, you could rule that the bullets themselves are coated with poisonous powder--safe for contact just with the skin, but dangerous if introduced directly to the blood stream. Kinda handwavey of the whole thing, though, in my opinion.

Of course, part of this also depends on the comparison between the pistol and a regular ranged weapon (presumably a crossbow). If it's substantially easier to use, with no need to gain proficiency or the like? Seems like making "poisoned bullets" semi-realistically difficult would be a good check. If the pistol is effectively identical to the crossbow (or some other regular ranged weapon) and is therefore just a change of fluff? Or, alternatively, if there's already been a good cost associated with it (e.g. paying a feat, or having ammunition be expensive as it is)? No real point making the poisoning hard/expensive to do on top of that.

Ashrym

Legend
Ok, here is a some information. in the campaign I play in we ended up on another plane, and while on that plane I was given a pistol. Being a rogue and having the assassin archetype, not uncommon for me tp poison my weapons, including the arrows I normally shoot.

So here is the question I posed to my DM, is it possible to poison the shot I load into the pistol? How would you answer this?

I would go with whatever your DM answered. It was his role to interpret the rules. ;-)

I am a bit on the fence because it sounds good but I am not convinced the poison would remain after a small explosion drove the round down the pistol barrel. I would likely allow it personally, with advantage on the save and point to 1000000 Ways to Die in the West for an example.

Magistus71

Explorer
We are going with his ruling which is no, I had even stated that I believe the explosion of the powder that propels the projectile would burn off the poison, and he agreed. I am just curious how others would rule.

aramis erak

Legend
You'd need a cup-shaped projectile; the typical poison won't stay on the tip, but a small drilled hole is the standard for poisoned bullets. It's also going to result in mushrooming.

On the other hand, it should be slightly more efficient at delivery...

So, your DM can easily justify either way.

Ed_Laprade

Adventurer
Depends on the bullets. A black powder ball? No. I'd say exactly what your DM did. A modern conical bullet, or even a black powder mini-ball? I'd go with the hollow point answer.

Last edited:

Magistus71

Explorer
You'd need a cup-shaped projectile; the typical poison won't stay on the tip, but a small drilled hole is the standard for poisoned bullets. It's also going to result in mushrooming.

On the other hand, it should be slightly more efficient at delivery...

So, your DM can easily justify either way.
Great idea.

aramis erak

Legend
Depends on the bullets. A black powder ball? No. I'd say exactly what your DM did. A modern conical bullet, or even a black powder mini-ball? I'd go with the hollow point answer.

Holes drilled into even round ball should work fine. It's just smooth ball that's an issue - be it modern military round-nose, or 1861 minne-ball...

But... if the round is low velocity, and the poison is thermally stable, you can put it in the tail of the bullet on a minne-ball or cup-backed modern military ball. Just like the phosphorous or magnesium compounds used for tracers doesn't fall out - it's accelerated at the same time and rate as the rest of the bullet - and since the bullet has more drag, the tail-load stays put, because the rest of the round slows first... it's own inertia keeps it pressed in.

CyanideSprite

First Post
One of my parties had this problem and they just engineered a way out of it. They had the gun fixed with a small poison bottle at the tip. The bullet would break the bottle, saturated itself in poison, and continue on to its target. It wouldn't work like that for everyone I'm sure, but I allowed it since it was amusing.

Ed_Laprade

Adventurer
One of my parties had this problem and they just engineered a way out of it. They had the gun fixed with a small poison bottle at the tip. The bullet would break the bottle, saturated itself in poison, and continue on to its target. It wouldn't work like that for everyone I'm sure, but I allowed it since it was amusing.
Mythbusters proved that won't work. On the other hand if its a fantasy poison, who's to say that it wouldn't? (The story in question was from the American Civil War, where it was claimed that a bullet (mini-ball to be exact) hit a soldier in the leg, bounced up off the bone and through his junk, then proceeded on for a hundred yards or so and lodged in the abdomen of a woman watching the battle from her porch and impregnating her.) Watch it on YouTube if you're interested.

Remove ads