D&D 4E POL Settings in Literature to Base 4e Settings On

Cam Banks

Adventurer
Dragonlance was one of the first D&D Points of Light settings. It's changed since, as the setting was revealed more and more and the storylines developed, but it was exactly the kind of thing they've been talking about when first published.

Cheers,
Cam

I don't have a book or series to exemplify the Points of Light setting, but here's one that mangled the idea of Points of Light: The Wheel of Time series. Those books not only had every scrap of land from the coast to the edge of the Blight divided into a specific kingdom, and every nation's monarch seemed to have complete authority over the entire territory, and could reach anywhere on the continent with his or her network of minions. Fun for politics, bad for PoL.

On the other hand, you could see a certain Points of Light in the uncertainty of it all. Kingdoms and cities are pretty civilized, but they aren't safe. Everywhere you go people are secretly Darkfriends or Forsaken or just scheming against you. So, really there are very few safe places in the world.

But I still wouldn't call it Points of Light.

Terramotus

First Post
Not quite literature, but... every Final Fantasy game ever made, especially the old school ones. Look at the worlds - they're all wilderness with cities here and there that know about the closest ones, but still don't have too much contact with each other due to the large monster-filled wilderness between them.

Final Fantasy 1 is a big inspiration for my first 4E campaign.

Glyfair

Explorer
The original Star Wars trilogy sort of fits. Each area the "PCs" were in was very isolated, and the areas outside of them were pretty dangerous.

We have Tatooine, Hoth, Bespin, Dagobah and Endor. Only Bespin really seems like it might be closely tied to a larger, safer civilization (and given the Empire runs it, that's somewhat debateable)

I see the Star Trek Enterprise universe as a Points of Light setting. We have the Earth with only two main allies in space, Vulcan who mentored Earth into spacefaring society and Denebolus as the first interstellar trading partner. All the planets and races the Enterprise meets are either neutral or hostile.

The Firefly universe is also a Points of Light setting. There is a handful of heavily populated planets united under a federation and dozens of sparsely settled colony worlds.

Starman

Adventurer
BendBars/LiftGates said:
I don't have a book or series to exemplify the Points of Light setting, but here's one that mangled the idea of Points of Light: The Wheel of Time series. Those books not only had every scrap of land from the coast to the edge of the Blight divided into a specific kingdom, and every nation's monarch seemed to have complete authority over the entire territory, and could reach anywhere on the continent with his or her network of minions. Fun for politics, bad for PoL.

On the other hand, you could see a certain Points of Light in the uncertainty of it all. Kingdoms and cities are pretty civilized, but they aren't safe. Everywhere you go people are secretly Darkfriends or Forsaken or just scheming against you. So, really there are very few safe places in the world.

But I still wouldn't call it Points of Light.

"Mangled" is an odd term to use considering that Robert Jordan wasn't setting out to create a PoL setting with his series.

Doug McCrae

Legend
The Dying Earth.

It's pure D&D. Step outside your house and go into the forest, you encounter three or four different monsters. There's also tons of magic items.

I would dispute that Conan and Middle-Earth are PoL. Although most of the world is wilderness (which is true of *all* worlds, including our own) this is insufficient. There must be no well guarded nation states, such as Aquilonia and Gondor.

Remove ads