• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pole arm ranger

ethandrul

First Post
I was thinking of building a pc based around this mini

http://www.privateerpress.com/HORDES/gallery/default.php?level=picture&id=35

I want him to be a dragonborn ranger, who is obviously using a pole arm.
Well, there isn't much use to a ranger who uses a pole arm.

I was thinking, why not make a new varient

loses martial ranged weapons and the ability to use 2 weapons at once.

gains the ability to treat a pole arm as 2 weapons. the off hand weapon does 1d6 damage- 2nd attack isn't a reach weapon
He qualifies for 2 weapon feats when using a pole arm (2 weapon fighting, defense)

or, would a feat that allows a pole arm to be a dual weapon be over powered?

Daniel D. Fox

Explorer
I'd treat the pole arm as 3rd edition did staffs; it can be used as a dual weapon. I'd use club damage for the stick end, and the polearm damage for the polearm.

I was thinking, why not make a new varient

loses martial ranged weapons and the ability to use 2 weapons at once.

gains the ability to treat a pole arm as 2 weapons. the off hand weapon does 1d6 damage- 2nd attack isn't a reach weapon
He qualifies for 2 weapon feats when using a pole arm (2 weapon fighting, defense)

or, would a feat that allows a pole arm to be a dual weapon be over powered?

hard to say, it sounds okay.
Maybe add that the prof. bonus for the stick end is only +2.

Actually I think it is okay.
Compared to 2 bastardswords at +3 / 1d10, the polearm version at +2 / d10 / d6 + reach with one part sounds fair.

AKW

Marius Delphus

Adventurer
Make him burn a feat to treat pole weapons as if each end was a separate weapon, and require that when he does so, he doesn't get reach.

Call it a day.

Last edited:

Khaalis

Adventurer
So we'd have something like this?

DUAL WEAPON [Ranger]
Prerequisites: Ranger, Two-Blade Fighting Style
Benefit: You may treat a polearm as a dual weapon. This allows you to use the polearm to fulfill two-weapon attack requirements. The haft acts as the secondary weapon with the following stats.
Proficiency +2 / Damage 1d6 / Group: Mace, Polearm / Properties: Off-hand
Special: When you use the secondary attack in a round, you lose the Reach property of the polearm until the start of your next turn.

Marius Delphus

Adventurer
That's pretty much exactly what I had in mind. I might even be persuaded to say the damage of the haft end should be one die size less than the sharp end, but I'm not even close to playtesting something like that, so I don't know whether it'd be "fair."

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads