• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Polearm Master feat...where's my spear?

Illithidbix

Explorer
This appears something of a Necrothread but...

Given that the Quarterstaff and Spear has almost identical stats
Simple Melee weapons, D6 damage, D8 Versatile.
A spear can be thrown and does piercing rather than bludgeoning damage.

If you want to be super detailed, then compare the benefits of bludgeoning damage to piercing damage.

From my analysis on this thread: https://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php...iercing-damage

Uh the difference is...

Bludgeoning
Good vs: Xorn, Skeletons, Ice Mephits
Bad vs: Treants, Awakened Tree

Piercing
Good vs: Rakasha if also magic and you're good-aligned.
Bad vs: Treant, Awakened Shrub, Awakened Tree, Xorn (unless magical)

So yeah, I'd be fine with spears being used with polearm mastery.

hejtmane

Explorer
A spear is a thrusting weapon, and the feat in question involves swinging the weapon (in order to bludgeon with the off-hand). You're not supposed to swing a spear in that manner.

Not true in quite a few Japanese martial arts it is a valid tacit and attack on the battle field because there is more than one attacker you always assume. European cases that may be the case but in thew asian world of martial arts Spears and Jo attacks blend together quite a bit

Not true in quite a few Japanese martial arts it is a valid tacit and attack on the battle field because there is more than one attacker you always assume. European cases that may be the case but in thew asian world of martial arts Spears and Jo attacks blend together quite a bit
If you say so. I'll clarify, then: The rules are not meant to reflect swinging the spear in that manner.

The Polearm Master feat (Phb pg 168) applies when using a quarterstaff, but not a spear?

As DM for my group (consisting of my kids, ages 16 to 10), I'm house ruling this to allow spears.

What possible explanation is there for this oversight?

The improvised weapon rules say a DM can rule an object which resembles a certain kind of weapon to function as that weapon, e.g. use a table leg with club proficiency. If you as DM feel that a given spear is balanced and braced like a sturdy quarterstaff, you are within the spirit of the law to allow it to function as one w/rt Polearm Master.

Iry

Hero
A spear is a thrusting weapon, and the feat in question involves swinging the weapon (in order to bludgeon with the off-hand). You're not supposed to swing a spear in that manner.
Speaking as someone who has been beaten by a trained spear user, the butt of a good spear effing hurts! :(

In European martial arts, quarterstaff techniques are usable with the longer spears. In fact there is a lot of crossover between the various polearm techniques. I think the difference is whether you're using the spear one-handed (alongside a shield presumably) or in two hands, and whether you're fighting as a group or individually. If you're using it one-handed or if fighting in a group, trying to swing the weapon around to hit with the back end is obviously a bad idea.

In a one-on-one situation where you're using both hands on the spear, there is the option of using the butt. Its obviously less effective than the business end, but if your opponent can close with you, it may be necessary to use the halfstaff grip rather than just choking up on the haft. Or course at that point, since your opponent presumably has a shield, you're generally better dropping the spear and pulling your dagger.

That said, a lot of martial arts display techniques involve spinning the polearm around in flourishes. That sort of thing gets picked up by the media and so a lot of character concepts based upon media tropes are going to fit the idea of spear spinning. The dividing line between the 5e D&D "Spear" and "Pike" is also rather fuzzy, but in general the principle stands for both.

S'mon

Legend
I have a Ghinarian (Greek) 'war spear' martial weapon IMCs - d8/d10 versatile; 10' reach, a Polearm Master can use it to make Reaction attacks on foes entering Reach (but no bonus attack) and doesn't suffer disad vs adjacent foes, but a normal wielder does.

I also give the Pike 15' reach, obviously. :D

GreyLord

Legend
Well, I included some more polearms from UA and AD&D in my Old School book/document (along with some other weapons from the older editions...including an idea of a 2handed sword which operates more like a flamberge in reach and countering polearms than the Great Sword idea) on DMs Guild.

On youtube I found this interest enactment of a spear/sword fight...though the spear has a metal shaft in this (or appears to).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7snmCogbUU0

300 is totally fantasy in regards to how the movie portrays it, but the Spartans absolutely rule with their spears in that one!

This might be of more use when thinking about the spear:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZZjtxgUGeU

Note than it is quite a bit shorter than the larger spears (5e's "pike").
Its a little less spectacular than the display: these people are actually trying to hit each other. However the play stops on each hit scored rather than D&D's multiple stabbing combats.

While 5e's "pike" isn't what I'd regard an actual pike as, being considerably shorter than I'd expect, its not exactly the first naming mistake on that score in D&D's history. To be frank, the actual pike was only of real use in formation fighting rather than the skirmishing with limited numbers that makes up most of the combat situations that D&D encounters.

Skyscraper

Explorer
The Polearm Master feat (Phb pg 168) applies when using a quarterstaff, but not a spear?

As DM for my group (consisting of my kids, ages 16 to 10), I'm house ruling this to allow spears.

What possible explanation is there for this oversight?

Include a Longspear in your game, give it 1d10 damage and reach, add it to the eligible list in the Polearm Master feat, remove the thrown property from it, and refluff the "spear" entry to have it be, essentially, too short for use as a polearm.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads