Political ads running on site

Jer

Legend
Supporter
I am happy to say that I have trained myself to not even look "over there" and I have no idea what ads run on my feed. (Your post had me look, and I was happy-ish to see that it was just some silly ad for a bank.)
I went to look at what ads I was being served and then remembered - I don't see them anymore because I became a supporter.

I'm tempted to log out and see what I'd get - I bet it's the big old ugly Temu ad that has been following me everywhere lately.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I'm tempted to log out and see what I'd get - I bet it's the big old ugly Temu ad that has been following me everywhere lately.
Same ones you get on every other site. It's Google ads. We're not special!

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
You are not special to Google. You are product.
yeah its quite scary when you realise just how 'regular' people are, so that with enough shared data points pretty detailed profile can be developed - and traded for advertising spend.

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
yeah its quite scary when you realise just how 'regular' people are, so that with enough shared data points pretty detailed profile can be developed - and traded for advertising spend.
I think the point is, ironically, everyone is 'special' enough to be fingerprinted (lots of people like Star Wars, D&D, Barbasol, green Toyota Corollas, the Cheese Royale at Burger King, orange six-shelf cabinets from Walmart, and pineapple and ham pizza, but very few people like exactly those seven things) without actually trading a name (which actually is traded as well I'm sure).

Last edited:

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
Every Google ad you can select it and just say you don't like the ad. You'll get a couple of choices why. This will prune the algo in your favor

Although I guess I have some sort of ad blocker, because I don't see a lot of ads any more

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
Every Google ad you can select it and just say you don't like the ad. You'll get a couple of choices why. This will prune the algo in your favor

Although I guess I have some sort of ad blocker, because I don't see a lot of ads any more
Thing with that is, if an ad is served 'in your favor', it's more targeted to you. That means you're more likely to click on it, and to buy stuff. Most likely stuff you don't need, because if you needed it, you would go buy it.

You have that much money to burn?

I get you might want to stop ads you find personally offensive (as with the political ads). But otherwise...why help them take your money?

Remove ads