• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(Poll) Favourite 1st Edition Artist

Favourite 1st Edition Artist

• Larry Elmore

Votes: 23 26.4%
  • Jeff Easley

Votes: 10 11.5%
  • Dave Sutherland

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • D. A. Trampier

Votes: 14 16.1%
  • Keith Parkinson

Votes: 6 6.9%
  • Jeff Dee

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • Erol Otus

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • Jim Holloway

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Bill Willingham

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Jim Roslof

Votes: 1 1.1%

Captain America

First Post
Elmore, I've loved for years and years, but, this year, I kinda blinked, looked at his stuff, and realized that he's had two female models and one male model, ever. And everyone, *everyone*, is based off of these three.

Ack!

As for the rest, I'm just not familiar with the styles. Don't suppose you could post a sample of each one's work, so that I can connect the dots (Lordy. My 1st Ed days were so LONG ago!) and try and remember who did the stuff I like?

Be much obliged.

GreyOne

Explorer
An example of Otus's work is Eric Noah's avatar.

I can't believe more people haven't picked Holloway. Hugely prolific, gritty yet often with a neat sense of humour.

Elmore is just, well, boring. A technically excellent artist, his pics didn't really have a lot of life to me. His pics just seemed like elevator music (Some of his Dragon covers were great though.) Easley's work was equally proficient and had character to boot.

Jeff Dee is another I loved, especially his pics in Dieties and Demigods. The Egyptian pantheon kicks arse.

Clyde Caldwell's work I hate. Its as irritating and painful to look at as Boris Vallejo's. The kind of unrealistic art you'd be embarrassed of someone seeing.

Altalazar

First Post
Elmore does seem to have a limited number of models, and yet I get the feeling he could do more if he wanted - he just likes the forms. As do I.

And by T&A, I meant his female depictions, mostly. Not his family, though I do recall his wife and daughters were quite attractive and just as friendly as he was.

I got some autographed drawings. One of these days I'd love to get a print of his. Even better would be to get an actual painting. There's art I wouldn't mind paying a lot of money for. The same goes for any of the other D&D artists mentioned here.

Makes me think of a new thread...

CrusaderX

First Post
Larry Elmore also did the cover art to the early TSR "Endless Quest" pick-a-path books that were published in 1982, such as "Dungeon of Dread", "Mountain of Mirrors", "Pillars of Pentegarn", and "Return to Brookmere".

I loved those when I was a kid.

grodog

Hero
I voted for Tramp, and in addition to him, my favorites were Bill Willingham, Tim Truman, Darlene Pekul (alas, who's not listed), and Erol Otus.

Last edited:

Remove ads